Transmission Issue?

mtnmutt

Mar 2, 2014
I recently did a service check for my 1998 Honda Civic Hatchback manual transmission with 176,000 miles.

I told the shop about a hard to get into reverse issue and an occasional shuddering while driving. If you ever had a car with a carburetor, it acts a little like a stuck carburetor which I always solved with an older Civic by spraying carb stuff in the carburetor. Too bad this car doesn\'t have a carburetor. Transmission fluid looks great. I don\'t know much about cars. I did an internet search on transmission issues which suggests my car may have a transmission issue.

These symptoms just started. My shop doesn\'t do transmissions. They referred me to the transmission place a few doors up.

I asked my car guy if the shop would be able to run a diagnostic and he told me my car is too old to have a computer. I burst out laughing.

My car doesn\'t even have power windows or power door locks. It doesn\'t have ABS brakes which I can care less about since I learned to drive without ABS. I learned to downshift with manual & auto transmissions which apparently people driving auto transmissions in snowstorms don\'t know how to do.

For the past 2 years, I have been in denial that the car should be replaced. Last month, I convinced myself that the car will be replaced next year. I am experiencing early stages of separation anxiety. This is by far the longest I have own a car...17 years. Due to a worn out left knee, it will be my last manual transmission. I love driving this car.

Due to all the aggressive drivers on I-25 to Denver, I stopped driving it to Denver. Even going 6 mph over the 75 mpg speed limit, vehicles still tailgate me in the RIGHT lane. I have experienced this tailgating of little cars for 35 years and it is getting worse each year. They don\'t tailgate me when I drive my Toyota Highlander. It amazes me how many drivers try to intimate me when I drive my Civic and not when I drive my SUV.

My 1998 civic would be crushed in an accident which leads to the other reason to replace the car..modern safety features. Despite not liking red cars, I buy red cars for defensive driving reasons. It has worked for 31 years along with using my headlights during the day. By chance in 1984, I ended up with a red Honda CRX. I quickly learned that in a sea of larger vehicles, I am more easily seen by driving a red car.

My 1998 Honda Civic is nicknamed lil red. Since I am not cleaver with naming cars, my 2002 Red Toyota Highlander is nicknamed Big Red. Maybe I should stop naming my cars. :roll:

In the past 32 years, I have never been left stranded by a car issue. I keep my cars in good service.

For 8 years, this car got me through mountain blizzards. Stopped fast on ice. Yes, the car would be toast if someone hit me. My family has encouraged its replacement for a few years now.

My dilemma
  1. Go to the transmission shop now and try to get it diagnosed? [/*:m:3gacxgau]
  2. Ignore it until October 1st when I have more time. I have AAA.[/*:m:3gacxgau]
  3. Donate the car now...like ripping off a band aid. I don\'t want a car payment until next year, so I do without a fun little car for 9-12 months.[/*:m:3gacxgau][/list:eek::3gacxgau]

In 1995, I sold my 1984 Honda CRX. It only needed a new radiator. I regretted selling it.

Thanks for reading my rant. :yawn: I need to get over this. I need to go hunting to clear my head. Time in the woods cures all. Maybe this post is an obituary for lil red. :cry: 17 years is 119 in dog years.

Any experience with transmission issues?

Sorry no help with the transmission but the last truck I drove was 16 years old. I told my wife that I would drive that truck until the wheels fell off. One day driving down the road the passenger side tire fell off!! Very bad ball joints. I was not hurt but could have been. My wife was scared when I told her what happened. At the same time she got excited because i made that statement awhile back about the wheels falling off. Guess what happened??....... I got that old truck fixed! Yup just couldn\'t see getting rid of something that I had for so long. (Very few problems) About two years after that happened things started going wrong with the old truck. (Lot of different fluid leaks...etc) It was finally time to quit putting band aids on the old truck. I got a new one in 2013. Every once in awhile I miss that old truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave, Thanks for sharing. I chuckled. Sorry it was funny. Glad you didn\'t get hurt. Your story hit home. I need to just get over the fact that it will be unreasonable to keep putting money into the car once it starts needing costly repairs.

The weird thing is my civic never has any leaks. My 11 yrs old CRX had at least one leak and the ball joint thing or boot issue. The joint issue taught me to replace shocks when needed. The civic has had slightly better preventive maintenance than my CRX because I am not as house poor like I was when I bought my first house.

My new right hearing aid ($2300) is worth more than my Honda Civic. Every year, some stranger asks to buy my Civic. It\'s probably only worth $1500. I will donate it to a charity rather than sell it.

Patricia
A good tranny shop will be able to diagnose it.
Sometimes all it takes is to change the tranny oil AND filter.
When they drop the pan they can do a visual and also do some pressure tests.

I took my old 1997 chev truck in for the same symptoms and it ended up being a clogged fuel filter that made it chug.

In the end you will need to have a good shop look at it

Good luck

Patricia, tranny problems can be puzzling things. Brad has great advice. I can do almost everything on a vehicle but the inner workings of an automatic tranny is greek to me! I will say this, I have had interesting little glitches with transmissions that carried on for the life of the car and never got any worse. My wifes work car has 140K miles on it and for the last 3 years has demonstrated a definite lag followed by a rough shift when changing gears. Three years after appearing, it seems no worse. The car has been a cheap to operate, reliable car and so we will continue to use it until further notice. That is a current example but have had others do similar things.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back