transport accros state lines

turbo1967

Jan 4, 2013
Just curious for you hunters out there that hunt other states. Are you processing  your game and removing the horns and skull plates and cleaning before transporting home or do you take to a taxidermist in the state you shoot it in?I see more states are making it illegal to transport any bones or heads of animals across state lines due to C.W.D.unless cleaned of any flesh matter.I see 2 of those states Mt has issues with are Colorado and Utah.Been looking at hunts in Colorado and just want to know the process?

I've hunted CO and ID and transported heads and meat via car and airline w/o issue. 

Hunted Colorado last year, I got pulled over at the california state line and had to fill out paper work for the meat I was bringing in and was told I can't bring the head in when I turned in the paper work after filling out all forms they just let me go so not sure what would happened hard to hide with horns sticking up. looked in the regs. and it says we can't transport across state lines so it will be horns and meat only from now on.

Sounds like you get it mounted in the state you shot it or learn how to measure,cape and boil the skull to clean it before leaving the state.
I was told last year that North Carolina taxidermists are not allowed to take a head from another state unless it has been caped and the skull cleaned. Not sure if they but those exceptions into law or just said it cannot be removed from the state it was killed.
I fully understand the need to prevent any CWD or any other disease from spreading, but it seems taxidermists could destroy any brain matter or debris from the skull they intend to mount. Always would be someone with good intentions to get it mounted, change their mind and toss it beside a road or something.

I would have to double check but I thought in the Idaho regs it said it could only be the horns or proffesionally cleaned by a taxidermist. I have to pick up my whitetail from the local taxidermist next month I will be curious to see what he has to say about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back