Trekking Poles

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
How many are willing to pack the extra weight of trekking poles?  For those that do, why do you do it and how have they helped you?

My partner and I are both feeling the years and the use of trekking poles has been both a safety asset and an improvement in our climbing ability.  It is especially valuable with heavy loads (70+ lbs) in keeping us from losing our balance and when your foot slips on frosty grass or shale and you have an extra point of balance.  I don't ski aggressively as I never wanted to blow out my knees and screw up elk hunting.  Kind of same when hunting as well.  For us, the extra hassle is well worth it.

I love my black diamonds. I use mine for my Mimi tipi and the trek out and in; no matter the pack size.

My dad has a set he carries around all the time.  He swears by them up and down.  I always give him abad time about using them and blame it on his old age.  However, I did get a chance to use them while hiking and they really did help.  I think I'm going to pick some up before next year!

They are awesome!!!  Besides I need them to setup my early season tarptent.

I used to think they were only for the "sod pounders" and "granola heads" but now I won't take off without them.

I never leave home without these guys! MY BD's weigh 9.5 ounces and collapse small enough to fit  in the pack. They take more stress off your joints when your pounding the hills than you can imagine. I'm not using the BDs on this day, but these poles helped pack out some bone ;D

Attachments

• extreme man-1 (425x640).jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
To me its not packing extra weight. I use them for the trek in (if before season or first light), as my tent poles, and for hiking out...hopefully with a backpack full of meat.

Since Jphelps uses them Im gona have to use them too  :eek:  Ive heard they arfe real helpful especially with heavy loads.

the ones that you all are using; Do they not have a metal tip on the base? does that ticking sound ever scare away elk? or do youi put something else as the tip?

My trekking poles do have metal tips on them and I believe most do have metal tips for traction.  I stow them when actually hunting and use the for ascent/descent throughout the day when not actually hunting.

Jeremiah Johnson said:
I never leave home without these guys! MY BD's weigh 9.5 ounces and collapse small enough to fit  in the pack. They take more stress off your joints when your pounding the hills than you can imagine. I'm not using the BDs on this day, but these poles helped pack out some bone ;D

The only thing that usually bothers me is my left hip.  Just feels kind of strained.  I was wondering if maybe treking poles would help out with that

My dad is 74 this year and I think these would be a good idea for him while we walk on trails. Will be looking into it...

They sure do help with those of us with bad knees.  if I am going into some steep country  I will take them just so my knees don't take a beating on the way down the hills.

GoatT said:
They sure do help with those of us with bad knees.  if I am going into some steep country  I will take them just so my knees don't take a beating on the way down the hills.

Down hill is what gets me as well, can't believe it took me so long to start using them.

I have never used them but since so many people swear by them I will definitely have to give them a try this year.

I decided to give em a try a few years ago after ready about the guys on Elk101 using them. The first time was during shed hunting season and now I don't go in the hills with out them. I will also stow them away while on the hunt but they come out for the pack in or out. My knees really appreciate it and its a good arm and shoulder workout.

Use them, love them.  I used to grab a stick along the way, but my trekking poles are light and compact and always readily available.  Worth the expense and the small amount of weight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back