Tripod

ghost

Dec 28, 2012
What light weight tripod are you guys using? I'm looking for something small like the Vortex Sumitt that I can pack and use during scouting.

Thanks

I use the vortex backcountry.  It is light enough for me and does the job fairly well.  Sucks if it's real windy, but for the price I don't expect it to be "great".

Tripods are like most things.....you get what you pay for.

I have used the Vanguard MAK 203 for the past couple of seasons.  It is decent and weighs in at a scant 2.2lbs (with head).  It is pretty study for a lightweight tripod.  The center column slide was a bit of a nuisance for set up, though.  Additionally, it is only rated for a 4.5lb max load.  I just sold it and am going with the Vanguard Alta+ 233.  It is a bit heavier (3.5lbs with head), but it also accomodates the Vanguard Pistol Grip head, which I enjoy using over the stock heads and is rated for a heavier load (6.6lbs).  Additionally, the Alta has quick release/ lock legs, which unfold individually and effortlessly (oppose to the column slide for all three on the MAK). 

+1 on the Vortex backcountry. I've had mine for three seasons and it works good. Not a lot of extra parts to go bad or weigh you down.

Thanks again gents. I will take a look at the Vortex Backcountry. Looks like it may be exactly what I'm looking for.

ive been looking into the Outdoorsmans Compact Medium Tripod. The price is a bit high but sure looks like a great tripod.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back