Tripod

VTHOKEE

Mar 4, 2016
So I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought me a nice Vortex Spotting scope. Now I need to find a good lightweight tripod for it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Vanguards and Slicks are popular choices. I have a Schonfeld carbon tripod with twist lock legs and a pistol grip head. I like the twist lock legs rather than the flick locks, as it is quicker deployment, where you can grab all of the twistlocks when it is in compact mode and twist all of them open at the same time and extend the legs.

i use a Slik 624. the thing is awesome.

i had a Summit SS by vortex and that thing was awful..if i could have found a deep lake,i would have thrown it in. so i sold it for pennies.

my friend last years had another Vortex tpod. it also sucked. it used this stud you simply set your binos over..he had to fuss and hold it constantly to get it to stay put..

Vanguard PH111 pan head..with the Slik..it is awesome.

i kinda disagree with a yard sale tripod.

i have a camera tripod. arguably one of the best compact camera tripods on the planet back in the day. a Bogan. #3115 or something. light, solid, very sturdy and the legs configure in some wacky distorted positions for picture taking.

i abused that thing thru photo school and while looking tired, it is as good as the day i bought it. man, i love that thing!!

as a hunting optics tripod it SUCKS!!! why? two reasons...well to main reasons.

1. it has a camera head. you are not panning a photo camera..with a camera, you aim it lock things down and hope and pray nothing moves. Click!
2. it has NO removable adaptor plate. i might quit hunting if i had to screw on a piece of gear with that tiny knob on the bottom of a tripod every time i wanted to use it.

so unless it has a pan type head with removable adaptor plates for quick easy on/off and optics change outs..it stays home for Christmas group pictures. i mostly see camera tripods at yard sales.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back