Tripods for Binoculars

Bails-UK

Jun 20, 2013
Ok Guys,
            This will be my third Elk Hunt, so I'm not a complete novice, but need guidance  on getting the right gear for multiday, overnight hunting, we normally use a base camp and set off from there every morning, however this time, I want to stay high and where the Elk are. I have all the gear needed for camping, but I need one specific item to complete my kit list...... TRIPOD. I'm hunting Elk in Colorado opening week of Archery season, but rather than taking a spotting scope, I'm just gonna stick with my Bino's. My question is what size Tripod do you guys take out with you, I've been looking at this one, but before buying would like to know your thoughts on Compact Tripods or what Tripods others are using as a reference. The model I'm looking at is the Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod, will this be suitable as most of my glassing will be sat down or should I go for the slightly larger Hama Traveller Compact model or a different make, model or size?, we are DIY hunting and overnighting on the Mountains, so weight and space is gonna be paramount in packing my gear.
Your help would be much appreciated  ;)

Dave

Look at monfrotto tripods.. They are awesome and the heads are super smooth for doing a lot of glassing. They make a mini that's in aluminum it's lite and would be great for back country stuff. The only thing that I'm concerned with, and this is with any aluminum tripod is bending the legs. I have the bigger carbon tripod. It's a bit pricier, but it's lasted me 5 yrs of hard abuse.
Something also to think about is a tripod that has independent legs so you can sit under it, and glass comfortably. Hope this helps. Best of luck

They look really nice and great reviews, but a little more than I was expecting to pay.... I'm on a budget(should have said before, sorry).

Swaro composite full size or you will have wind/wobble issues at higher magnifications.......

And magnification is what it's all about IMHO.

Check out slik tripods. Or rocketfish makes a tripod that's carbon you can find at best buy for 150$.. Going in the back country isn't a place to skimp on quality.. 2many is also right with magnification is also a key. I carry 15x56 swaros.. I'm all about a budget. No joke check out ebay, or amazon. That's where I buy a lot of my gear. Vortex also makes a good lightweight tripod. Monfrotto and Bogen make a super lite tripod for about 80$ that extends to 4.5 ft tall. Good luck man!

Thanks Guys, I'll take a look at the options and see what I can afford, but my Bushnell Trophy 8x42 seem a little inadequate now....
I'll see what I can find on eBay or amazon for the Vortex or Bogen models, but I try my best with what gear I have, we don't have anywhere near the suppliers or prices that you guys get, but like I said I'll see what I can find. I'd love a pair of swaro's or Zeiss, but realistically they are out of my range. May have to do with what I got for this trip and just get the tripod and think a bout bino's at a later date.
Again, thanks guys

Bails

2MANY said:
Most critters are killed without the Swaro factor.

Shoot straight. :)
I'm not saying you have to own a pair of swaros.. It took me 2 yrs to pay mine off. I'm just trying to help a guy out. It doesn't matter what brand you use as long as you can use them. Cheers!

Thanks Guys, I'm looking at the Slik sprint mini, ideal size and in my budget. My Bushnell have served me well, but admittedly they aren't the best bino. I think fixed to the slik sprint mini, they will be fine for a while longer, but I will invest in some new bino's in the future.
My shooting is good to go, i'm good for a 20yrd shot with my Longbow  :)

Dave

Hycntryhtr said:
2MANY said:

I'm not saying you have to own a pair of swaros.. It took me 2 yrs to pay mine off. I'm just trying to help a guy out. It doesn't matter what brand you use as long as you can use them. Cheers!

I wasn't implying that you were saying that.
I have a small fortune in green optics.
Have they paid for themselves.......................Hell no!
Will I ever sell them...........................No way.

2MANY said:
Hycntryhtr said:
2MANY said:

I wasn't implying that you were saying that.
I have a small fortune in green optics.
Have they paid for themselves.......................Hell no!
Will I ever sell them...........................No way

I'm right there with you, I tried to get mine to make money for me, and they did somewhat.. But there is no way I would ever sell my binos!!
I would like to aquire more, you can never have enough optics!!! Good luck this fall guys!

I have the Manfrotto 735B and it's a great light weight tripod.  Independent legs and smooth ball head. Works great with my Alpen 735 spotter and 10x50 Apex binos.

Vortex high country tripod, it's light, descent quality, and fairly cheep. It's what use and I couldn't be happier

Hi Dave

Fancy meeting another British Bowhunter on here?!  8)

Sorry we dodn't see you at the weekend; we saw Phil and Andy at the BBA stand at the Game Fair and saw the photos of where you're all hunting near in Unit 6 CO...to say I'm jealous is a small understatement.

Alll the best; good luck and good hunting

Kenneth

PS You might want to look at Aron Snyder's review of the Slik tripod in Extreme Elk a few issues back

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back