truck prep for altitude change

jackdaddy

Dec 25, 2013
With one season under my belt I do believe thus year I'll be a lot more prepared except for one thing my truck. I just purchased a new truck today and ready to start making some changes and was curious if there are any tips to get my Missouri truck ready for mountain altitude?

I could be wrong, but I thought if your truck is fuel injected you didnt have to worry about the altitude.

About 27 years ago or so my inlaws are from the coast came up for a deer hunt and we had to adjust his carburetor.

My previous truck was a 2011 and the altitude in pagosa springs brought the dog out in the gmc

I brought my truck from the Oregon coast all the way up to the highest points you can drive out here in the west and had no problems.  They are fuel injected so there is nothing you need to do.  But with that being said, an aftermarket air filter would probably help get more air so it would run better, other than that not much since you shouldnt have any trouble.

Yes I don't know what kind of truck you bought but if its new nothing really you can do you have to remember there is alot less air at this elevation and you will see the HP really drop off and yes it will feel doggy compared to at home. trust me I'm a mechanic in colorado and we get this every year with people from texas. Less air means it has to use less fuel to keep the air fuel mixure right =less fire=less horsepower. Don't worry were just the opposite when we drop in elevation we think the grocery getter is a HOT ROD!!

I drive a 2011 Chevy Silverado, with EFI and don't have any problems with it when I go out west hunting.
I never had and problem with my 2005 Chevy Colorado either.
I do run Napa gold air filters in it, I don't know if that helps or not.
by the way, I am from Michigan.

Kevin

been a level 4 mechanic for 27 years and if your truck was built in the last 20 + years you need to do nothing, the computer in you truck measures barometric pressure and temp , moisture in the air , the oxygen in your exhaust and about 500 other things. I f your truck runs different at altitude than there is something wrong with a sensor , no adjustments can be done, fuel millage will change , nothing can be done about that.Things you can check, is proper coolant for cold temps, good tires and or tire chains for the terrain you will be in and maybe extra gas cans for if your are hunting far out in the country, you burn a lot more fuel when putting around mountian roads.

Shouldn't have anything to worry about!  You will notice a difference but not much you can do.  You'll be alright!

On our 2012 hunt in Colorado we drove from PA to CO in an F250 Diesel.  Handled itself well all the way out, would not start when we were ready to leave.  Finally got it going and once we got down out of the mountains it behaved well again all the way home.  Pulled a lightweight trailer with gear for 4 and got 10 mpg out and back.  Talked with some guys from Wisconsin and Colorado who were driving a Chevy Duramax and Dodge Cummins.  Both of them had no issues.  This year I am taking my new 2013 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab and have been told by the dealer I do not need to do anything to it.

I didn't figure there was much I could do, I'll try an aftermarket air filter on and see how it runs.

if this is a new truck I would not put on a after market air filter , newer vehicles are very fine tuned from the factory and you can mess that up , not to mention all manufactures will restrict your engine warranty if you install one .just thought you would like to know .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back