Turkeys in the rain

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Well, it looks like this weekend is going to be wet in Nebraska.

Anyone got tips on hunting turkeys when the weather forecast is for 90% chance of \"ice pellets\" and 23 mph wind?

We have hunted green fields in cool/wet weather. More of a feeding pattern, don\'t be afraid to sneak and peak.

We have hunted in some real bad weather out in SW Neb.
There are a couple of things that will increase your chances.
Hunt near the roosting area both mornings and afternoons.
Hunt near cover.
The birds over in the SW part of the state like to head to shelter belts and canyons that are choked with cedars in bad weather.
After they hit the ground in the morning they normally will fight, and chase for a bit. Once the first hens head out for food the toms will follow. Try to intercept them between roosting and feeding both mornings and afternoons.
During the afternoons since you are shotgunning, don\'t be too shy about running and gunning.
If the wind isn\'t blowing too bad you can call and locate birds then sneak in for a shot.

We\'ll give it a try ... I anticipate a run-and-gun, ambush approach. Hopefully we get some down on Saturday so we don\'t need to fight the weather too much.

Run and gun it was.

Saturday, we spotted a group in a wheat field ... they didn\'t respond to calls at all ... so, the sneak was on. Luckily, they were feeding near a tree-filled draw and we were able to get in there and sneak and surprise them at 30 yards.

The next day was horrible weather ... very high winds, ice pellets, snow at times, rain at other times, and steadily worse through the morning ... we knew we needed to get something done. We put the sneak on some in another wheat field as they were feeding toward a shelter belt ... but they gave us the slip. We spoke to the landowner and he pointed to the silage pit ... \"wait there\". We didn\'t at first take his advice ... and drove around, still exploring the property ... but when we drove back by the silage, there were two toms, a hen, and a jake in there.

Well, what we did was in no way illegal.

Nor was it terribly sporting.

But it did result in two birds.

We thought we\'d hit the road back to Wyoming, but then found the road was closed, so ... we plucked and waited. Drove home yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCN7317.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCN7309.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 331
Way to go making the best out of adverse conditions!
Im hearing lots of \'non typical\' turkey killin this spring!

\"Deertick\" said:
Run and gun it was.

We spoke to the landowner and he pointed to the silage pit ... \"wait there\". We didn\'t at first take his advice ... and drove around, still exploring the property ... but when we drove back by the silage, there were two toms, a hen, and a jake in there.

As a landowner I was helping a friend bowhunt deer. I put him in one of my favorite tree stands on my north 40. I told him the deer come from your right and you can see them comeing so you have to stand and get turned to shoot. He had a 6pt and 2 does come by and couldn\'t shoot to his right being a right handed shooter. He decided to get down and sit behind some bushes 15yds behind that tree. Well as I , the landowner stated, a huge 12pt probably mid 180s walked to 10yds from the tree from the direction I told him. He shot over its back and it bounded off. I saw the deer as it passed by my stand at 80yds. He was a nice buck of a lifetime. When I returned to pick up the hunter he told me what had happened. I told him he should have stayed in the tree. He said yes I know. He was a 65 year old retired electritian and thanked me for letting him hunt that stand. He said even though he didn\'t get him that one encounter was the best hunting day of his life. He was as excited as a 5 year old on xmas morning. I was glad to have given him the experience. I did help him fill a few tags over the years.

Not easy for a couple of guys to sneak up on Turkeys!

\"Spot and Ambush\" is fair play...we\'ve used that technique many times!

Well done, John...congrats to you guys!

\"elkmtngear\" said:

Well, it wasn\'t so difficult ... we just snuck from tractor to pickup to implements ... it was more of a tactical operation than a hunt.

\"Deertick\" said:
\"elkmtngear\" said:

Well, it wasn\'t so difficult ... we just snuck from tractor to pickup to implements ... it was more of a tactical operation than a hunt.

No different than useing trees or rocks in my opinion. As long as you didn\'t drive by with the tractor and blast them. :mg:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back