Two Way Satellite Communicator

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
I'd appreciate any input, suggestions, personal preference on the type of two way communicator you use in the backcountry, like a Delorme inReach or a Garmin Rino, when you're out of cell service.I hunt solo and for my wife's peace of mind, being able to touch base will help keep her from going mental while I'm gone. [/size]Thanks in advance!

I carry a Spot. Never had to use it for real. Did hit the button that sends a message out to the family, " Game down", when I took a deer. Had everybody all fired up cause I left the cell in the truck. Figured they could read, deer not me down. Glad to know it worked.

I have the InReach SE and in my opinion a very worthwhile investment. Where I hunt there is zero cell coverage for at least 18 miles away.
You can pair the InReach with your smartphone & download an app that allows you to text from your phone. That app also has a decent GPS on it. It's also comforting to know that you have an SOS button on there if you're ever in a life threatening situation. I get the Freedom plan for one month & then deactivate until I need it next season. That allows me unlimited incoming/outbound texts for month. Worthwhile investment for peace of mind & safety.

I second what USMCVET said. 

Have the inReach Explorer (orange version) and it is excellent. Text, email and emergency services capabilities. It's always worked for me wherever a GPS will. Just need clear lines of sight to satellites.

Will say that the built in GPS is pretty much garbage. You'll want to bring your dedicated GPS in addition to this unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back