Two weeks of hunting

COLOelkman

Dec 28, 2012
I plan to hunt this year for perhaps 2 weeks and I've never hunted that duration before.  I retired not long ago so now I can afford the extra time but just not sure how long I will last and still have the physical and mental energy.  I'll be in an area where there are 350 type bulls and I hope to hold out for one near that mark as this may be my only "trophy quality" area I'll have in my lifetime.  I'm planning on taking it relatively easy the first 4 days (hikes not more than maybe 8 miles) then I will be leaving to attend a wedding for a day so it will be a nice break.  So any advice for keeping mentally charged for that long of a period.  I think the physical part I'd have more control over but the mental part seems like it will be more tough.  I can hunt the whole month of Sept but will only have someone with me for about 10 days then I'm solo for any other time.  Any advice would be appreciated!

The biggest thing I have had to overcome on a long hunting trip has been not getting discouraged. There have been many occasions where it has been 7 days and I haven't seen elk. When this happens it's easy to have a negative attitude and not put in 100% effort. There were times where I would sleep in and go out later in the day. I'm to the point where I tell myself "this is going to be the day/morning". Never have any regrets when you're hunting, especially when you're elk hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a similar situation this fall as my hunting buddy and I have 12 of our 14 day season allotted to hunt.  The unit we're hunting has plenty of elk and that alone should keep us fairly motivated.  The other great thing is simply having a good buddy along to hunt with.  That always keeps things going strong.

Good luck on finding that 350" bull.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back