Ugh...LH or RH?

mtnmutt

Mar 2, 2014
I decided to start over with archery. I never received much instruction. Today, I did a lesson with an archery coach. She never assumes anything. She had me shoot a LH and RH recurve.

I am right handed, left eye dominate. My right eye is very weak...it has a weak eye muscle which gets better if I keep up with my eye exercises.

In 2010, I bought my first bow...a RH bow because I was too chicken to try LH.

2012, I switched to LH. It took awhile to make it work for me.

Coach watched my shooting with one eye closed and with both eyes open using both bows (LH & RH). Also, she had me try shooting RH bow with RH eye closed and only using my dominate left eye. I shot well.

I originally switched to LH because I wanted to keep both eyes open. With both eyes open, my weak right eye causes the pins to appear double the closer the sight is to my face. Therefore, I had to close my right eye when shooting LH. Using a long sight extension, the double vision goes away.

Apparently, I can do RH & LH equally well if I use a long sight extension with both eyes open.

Dusting off my old RH bow. I will be shooting my LH and RH bows for a week.

I need to make a decision...go back to RH or stay LH. It sure is easier to find RH bows, plus I am stronger RH.

The other things to consider:
Shooting in leagues: RH, I won\'t likely face a person at the shooting line.

LH, my left hearing aid (power aid) needs to be turned off while shooting because the back of my hand causes it to feedback. My right aid is not a power aid and doesn\'t cause the same issue.

I went to my lesson thinking, yeah, I am LH shooter and would buy another LH bow soon. :think:

My vote is to follow the dominate eye.
My left eye is dominant with my right eye not being TOO far off, but I am VERY aware of it when shooting. So I really appreciated the swap over.

Here is a question for you.....
Have you ever thought of correcting your right eye?
Then stick to righty?

\"iccyman001\" said:
My vote is to follow the dominate eye.
My left eye is dominant with my right eye not being TOO far off, but I am VERY aware of it when shooting. So I really appreciated the swap over.

Here is a question for you.....
Have you ever thought of correcting your right eye?
Then stick to righty?
Yep, she mentioned a solution for getting the right to dominate. I know I can strengthen my right eye. I did so as a kid when I was initially diagnosed with a weak right eye muscle. I have gotten lazy at keeping up with my eye exercises.

She is a level 3 coach who coaches a couple of paralympics archers.

She listed out all options and said I was the one who is best to decide. She felt confident I could shoot just as well RH or LH with a littler bit easier RH because I am right handed.

\"iccyman001\" said:
All I am going to say is people who went from righty to left are shooting 280\" bulls this year :D
I spit on my computer...laughing.

Ever since someone joined the \"righty went lefty club\", the club has gone downhill :p ...now, if a certain someone gets an Oryx, perhaps the club\'s status will be elevated.

This weekend, I will be shooting my RH & LH bows with both eyes open. Hopefully, I will have a decision soon.

I want to bow a new bow in March. Tick-Tock, I need to make a decision.

\"mtnmutt\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:
All I am going to say is people who went from righty to left are shooting 280\" bulls this year :D
I spit on my computer...laughing.

Ever since someone joined the \"righty went lefty club\", the club has gone downhill :p ...now, if a certain someone gets an Oryx, perhaps the club\'s status will be elevated.

This weekend, I will be shooting my RH & LH bows with both eyes open. Hopefully, I will have a decision soon.

I want to bow a new bow in March. Tick-Tock, I need to make a decision.

I\'m all about elevating our status!!!!!!
Oryx will just be the beginning this year. :upthumb:

I\'m in that club. Had to change because I shattered my left elbow and it my left arm never made a full recovery. I\'m right eye dominant but I can shoot left handed. It\'s not as easy as shooting right handed and if I had my choice I would shoot with my dominant eye for sure. When I switched to shooting with my non dominant eye I struggled mightily and went through many bows and sights experimenting with string angles, peep sights and pin sizes. It just takes the right combination to get comfortable with.

So far, my pros columns is leaning towards LED...continue LH.

If it was 4 yrs ago before switching to clumsy shooting with non dominant arm (left), I likely would have stayed with my dominant arm (right) & non dominant eye (right).

Another 1-2 days of shooting and I will have my final answer.

4 years ago, it was extremely difficult to start shooting LH, however, it eventually felt normal. So why reverse course now?

As mentioned, some have to switch because of injuries. Each person should do what works best for them.

I admit, I was a little scared and frustrated when I switched to LH 4 years ago. Determination goes a long way.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I want to stay with LH, however, my right bow shoulder isn\'t happy. Working on my deltoids. Dropped weight off the stabilizer. I keep dropping my bow arm because my shoulder gets inflamed. Frustrating.

Lately, slammed with work, therefore, weekday workouts are mostly non existent. Sitting long hours is taking its toll on my body. If I didn\'t have 4-6 hrs of conference calls, I would work in short 5-10 minute workout breaks. April may be better.

Giving my shoulder 4 more weeks before bow shopping. If my right shoulder doesn\'t get better, I may need to switch back to RH.

Sent from my Nexus 7

\"mtnmutt\" said:
I want to stay with LH, however, my right bow shoulder isn\'t happy. Working on my deltoids. Dropped weight off the stabilizer. I keep dropping my bow arm because my shoulder gets inflamed. Frustrating.

Lately, slammed with work, therefore, weekday workouts are mostly non existent. Sitting long hours is taking its toll on my body. If I didn\'t have 4-6 hrs of conference calls, I would work in short 5-10 minute workout breaks. April may be better.

Giving my shoulder 4 more weeks before bow shopping. If my right shoulder doesn\'t get better, I may need to switch back to RH.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Have you looked into ergonomically correct chairs or the standing desks?
I can\'t stand sitting at a desk for too long, but standing has helped a bunch!

Or I just give myself mandatory breaks where I have to go walk around and get away from that chair!

\"iccyman001\" said:

Or I just give myself mandatory breaks where I have to go walk around and get away from that chair!
My 4-6 hr online work meetings require my active participation. It was tough finding time to get up and get water with the back to back meetings. Worst when they double book me for meetings. April will be better.

My 15 yrs old ergonomic chair was showing wear. Over the weekend, I bought a new ergonomic chair. Now, my legs hurt (short person). Jury is still out on the new chair. I need a foot rest for my short legs.

Today was better for my mini breaks. I fit in a few 5-10 minutes breaks during each workday:
  • Stretch legs (reduces knee pain).[/*:m:3o0joe6r]
  • Stretch lower back (reduces back pain).[/*:m:3o0joe6r]
  • Hip toning and balance exercises.[/*:m:3o0joe6r]
  • 5-10 minutes on treadmill.[/*:m:3o0joe6r]
  • Run up and down stairs for 5 minutes.[/*:m:3o0joe6r]
  • Stretch arms, neck and upper back.[/*:m:3o0joe6r]
  • Calf lifts while waiting on microwave for lunch.[/*:m:3o0joe6r][/list:u:3o0joe6r]
    Today, my bow shoulder feels better. In February, I re-injured it. In March, I shot only once per week, plus did shoulder PT stretches and TLC. On Saturday, I shot 33 arrows. On Sunday, 45 arrows. My shoulder does not hurt today. First time in 5 weeks without shoulder pain from shooting.

Things are looking up.

\"mtnmutt\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:

My 4-6 hr online work meetings require my active participation. It was tough finding time to get up and get water with the back to back meetings. Worst when they double book me for meetings. April will be better.

My 15 yrs old ergonomic chair was showing wear. Over the weekend, I bought a new ergonomic chair. Now, my legs hurt (short person). Jury is still out on the new chair. I need a foot rest for my short legs.

Today was better for my mini breaks. I fit in a few 5-10 minutes breaks during each workday:
  • Stretch legs (reduces knee pain).[/*:m:qmeyu3pf]
  • Stretch lower back (reduces back pain).[/*:m:qmeyu3pf]
  • Hip toning and balance exercises.[/*:m:qmeyu3pf]
  • 5-10 minutes on treadmill.[/*:m:qmeyu3pf]
  • Run up and down stairs for 5 minutes.[/*:m:qmeyu3pf]
  • Stretch arms, neck and upper back.[/*:m:qmeyu3pf]
  • Calf lifts while waiting on microwave for lunch.[/*:m:qmeyu3pf][/list:u:qmeyu3pf]
    Today, my bow shoulder feels better. In February, I re-injured it. In March, I shot only once per week, plus did shoulder PT stretches and TLC. On Saturday, I shot 33 arrows. On Sunday, 45 arrows. My shoulder does not hurt today. First time in 5 weeks without shoulder pain from shooting.

Things are looking up.

• Im going to send you a water jug to keep by your desk!!! Don\'t let me get on my pedestal and start talking about hydration!
    I carry a gallon of water around with me wherever I go.

Im glad April will be better. The LH only, cool hunter club needs you back and active :upthumb: :wave:

I hope that new chair works out. :thewave:

\"iccyman001\" said:
Im going to send you a water jug to keep by your desk!!! Don\'t let me get on my pedestal and start talking about hydration!
Oh no Dan!!! Or should I say Brotein Shake? You haven\'t turned into the \'gallon of water\' guy, have you???

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAWW23pyZ0[/youtube]

\"iccyman001\" said:
Im going to send you a water jug to keep by your desk!!! Don\'t let me get on my pedestal and start talking about hydration!

Im glad April will be better. The LH only, cool hunter club needs you back and active :upthumb: :wave:

I hope that new chair works out. :thewave:
I keep a 1 liter water bottle at my desk which is filled at least 3 times per day during working hours...Unfortunately, drinking that much water requires a trip to the facilities which is only 7 yards away from my desk, however, it feels like 1 mile away when you can\'t get up from your desk.

I keep a 1 gallon water jug in my car. I easily get dehydrated, especially in dry climates like CO.

End of April, new LH bow shopping.

In mid-March, I changed my current bow\'s DW from 24\" to 24.5\". Improving my form the last 6 weeks revealed that I may have been a tad short on DL. Longer shots may be more consistent with my longer DL. Being short on DL was inducing torque.

I hope your new LH bow is working out for you. I am behind on reading BTO threads, therefore, I have not kept up on your transition.

\"mtnmutt\" said:
I keep a 1 liter water bottle at my desk which is filled at least 3 times per day during working hours...Unfortunately, drinking that much water requires a trip to the facilities which is only 7 yards away from my desk, however, it feels like 1 mile away when you can\'t get up from your desk.

I keep a 1 gallon water jug in my car. I easily get dehydrated, especially in dry climates like CO.

End of April, new LH bow shopping.

In mid-March, I changed my current bow\'s DW from 24\" to 24.5\". Improving my form the last 6 weeks revealed that I may have been a tad short on DL. Longer shots may be more consistent with my longer DL. Being short on DL was inducing torque.

I hope your new LH bow is working out for you. I am behind on reading BTO threads, therefore, I have not kept up on your transition.
What bothers me is it sounds like your job glues you to that desk....

DISLIKE! Do I need to call your supervisor and talk to him about the long term positive effects of proper ergonomic principles?
3 liters is ok, but we may need to bump you up a little more! We want a super healthy Patricia for elk packing out this year.

I love my new bow and so far it loves me. My arm had no issue building up strength and my groupings are doing really well from 20-60.
I have HIGH HOPES for this year and I cannot wait.

\"cohunter14\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:
Oh no Dan!!! Or should I say Brotein Shake? You haven\'t turned into the \'gallon of water\' guy, have you???

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAWW23pyZ0[/youtube]

LOL!!!!!!
Love it! Im going to sue them for taking direct footage of me without my approval :haha: :haha:

\"iccyman001\" said:
What bothers me is it sounds like your job glues you to that desk....

DISLIKE! Do I need to call your supervisor and talk to him about the long term positive effects of proper ergonomic principles?
3 liters is ok, but we may need to bump you up a little more! We want a super healthy Patricia for elk packing out this year.

I love my new bow and so far it loves me. My arm had no issue building up strength and my groupings are doing really well from 20-60.
I have HIGH HOPES for this year and I cannot wait.
Very nice progress on your shooting.

I admit, I am a little poor with water intake in the afternoon, especially if I am writing computer code. I get in the zone and forget about water and food when I am coding, its an addiction...I can\'t get myself to stop coding when I am in the zone. I do much better with water & food intake when I have meetings. Meetings are mostly in the morning.

Starting in December, my boss gave me a helper. That is the only reason I only worked 9-10 hr/days in March instead of 11-13hr/days. He knows I will move on if I don\'t get my playtime. Playtime is currently in jeopardy from mid-May to late August. Too many high profile projects are due in July & August. Job pays for my toys, therefore, better to play along with management\'s unreasonable deadlines.

I have taken this way off topic...Bottom line, mutt will get a new LH bow by mid-May.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back