Unit 201

Jason Balazs

Aug 4, 2017
Well I was just looking at my points online and get real down seeing how much the point creep has made its way up there. As of this last year, I have 13 for Elk and the same for deer. When I first started putting in for this area, there were only 13 points needed. Now, it is up to 20/21. I can draw a Muley tag with what I have now, but really want to hunt in Area 2 3rd Rifle with that, which takes 15.

I really am disappointed in Colorado making deer draw completely. Even my old stomping grounds around Rye takes preference points to draw!

I remember you were trying to do 201 the year you retire.... is that still on track or has the creep ruined that?

DTP said:
I remember you were trying to do 201 the year you retire.... is that still on track or has the creep ruined that?

It should work. I have eight years until I retire from the Navy, which will put me at 35 years in. UGH, lol.

Just hoping the creep sort of tapers off. I will have 21 points then, and if I draw I will spend the whole season and most of the summer there. As far as deer, I was thinking of blowing my pref points up there to hunt them during archery. Not only could I get a chance at a monster, but could really scout out the elk as well. However, I could draw now, and I would only be able to spend one or two weeks up there.

Jason Balazs said:
DTP said:

It should work. I have eight years until I retire from the Navy, which will put me at 35 yearsin. UGH, lol.

Just hoping the creep sort of tapers off. I will have 21 points then, and if I draw I will spend the whole season and most of the summer there. As far as deer, I was thinking of blowing my pref points up there to hunt them during archery. Not only could I get a chance at a monster, but could really scout out the elk as well. However, I could draw now, and I would only be able to spend one or two weeks up there.

I'd keep holding out!
I've got a similar plan as yours for when I retire the Air Force and I think it's a nice little motivation. If you could archery hunt deer prior to the elk hunt it would pay off two fold come elk time!!!!

We will all be living vicariously through you on both of those hunts :D

DTP said:
Jason Balazs said:
DTP said:

It should work. I have eight years until I retire from the Navy, which will put me at 35 years in. UGH, lol.

I'd keep holding out!
I've got a similar plan as yours for when I retire the Air Force and I think it's a nice little motivation. If you could archery hunt deer prior to the elk hunt it would pay off two fold come elk time!!!!

We will all be living vicariously through you on both of those hunts :D
I hear you bro!! In a Doctorate Program right now for Anesthesia, so hoping to draw a muley tag in a couple of years for up there. Think We have camped numerous times in that area, but it always been in the summer. Will keep you updated. 

You are certainly in a tough spot with those point numbers Jason. I'm not an expert on the point creep but I hear it's so bad now that you might never even catch up with those numbers? Might be something to look at.

I'm shocked that the deer allotment hasn't increased either. I remember back in the day when you could get deer tags in 90% of the units with no points. A lot has changed since then and it only seems to be getting worse.

cohunter14 said:
You are certainly in a tough spot with those point numbers Jason. I'm not an expert on the point creep but I hear it's so bad now that you might never even catch up with those numbers? Might be something to look at.

I'm shocked that the deer allotment hasn't increased either. I remember back in the day when you could get deer tags in 90% of the units with no points. A lot has changed since then and it only seems to be getting worse.

Yeah it is really getting out of hand. I looked and they didn't even consider a person for the Hybrid draw for 201 this last year. Something needs to change.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back