Unit 4 Colorado Archery Elk Hunting

bluesage

Feb 28, 2024
Can anyone give me a general idea of what I should expect if I were to archery hunt in CO Unit 4, north east of Craig. Looking at the north and west side of Mt. Welba and west side of Mt. Eliphant. And also looking at the south and west side of Black Mt. as well. No honeyholes, just want to know if there are a decent number of elk in those areas.
Thank you!

Archery...September 2 - 10, 2024. Tent camping with GMC Sierra 4x. Experienced, but never hunted unit 4. Can not get any useful information from CPW or FS, I've made numerous calls.
Thank you.

What season are you looking to hunt is the question. Lots of different terrain in that area
I know early September will be pretty warm, so we'll plan on going high and hunt the north sides initially. With G-earth I see lots of ponds all around and with the past winter's snow, I'm assuming there be water for the elk. I'm particularly looking at Mt Welba and Oliphant off of FRd 109 and Black Mt. off Frd 27. I will be trailering a Polaris Ranger if I need it, but we're not road hunting. Thanks!

I know early September will be pretty warm, so we'll plan on going high and hunt the north sides initially. With G-earth I see lots of ponds all around and with the past winter's snow, I'm assuming there be water for the elk. I'm particularly looking at Mt Welba and Oliphant off of FRd 109 and Black Mt. off Frd 27. I will be trailering a Polaris Ranger if I need it, but we're not road hunting. Thanks!
Just spoke with my cousin. He just sold his GMC, so we will be taking my Toyota Tacoma 4x, not that it matters???

I would be careful posting too much information on specific spots on here, just FYI. Anyone can google search units, roads, etc and find posts. Might want to consider sending direct messages to each other instead.

I would be careful posting too much information on specific spots on here, just FYI. Anyone can google search units, roads, etc and find posts. Might want to consider sending direct messages to each other instead.
My bad! I thought we were in the PM thread. Thanks 14!!

Back