Unit selection

brianmahler10

Mar 26, 2018
When selecting a unit to hunt do you go with the unit with the highest quanity or highest percentage?

I'm not picky, cow or bull would make me happy. 

Also I'm a DIY hunter, and this is my 3rd season.  But have not fill my tag yet.  And I would really like to change that this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I?m typically leaning towards middle of the road on both.
I am not seeking the trophy units and I am also not seeking the best draw odds. 

The unit I draw in NM is usually 26-28% draw odds and 28-30% harvest rates. 
Far from a trophy unit, but a healthy herd.

The units I hunt have success rates ~6-7%.

I seem to do ok  :)

The key is to know your area inside and out

Since I went know what unit I will have access to,  I will have to wait till then.

Just trying to narrow down which units to put into the draw on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Depends on the type of data your state gives you.  Harvest success is by far the number one stat, but there are reasons why it might not tell the full story (private land, outfitters, bad reporting, etc). The total harvest % doesn't equal what the DIY public land guy is killing.  You have to read the data behind the data to really understand this number.
Another good stat is population objectives, is the heard above or below?  Look for areas they're trying to cut the heard back because it is over objective.
The thing is, everyone is looking at these stats too, so you have to find the hidden area within that unit to find the elk. To me, its more about finding the area within the unit, than finding the unit within the state.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back