University of Elk Hunting

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
I apologize if this topic has been covered before. This is my first post to the forums of Elk101. I am a novice to elk hunting. Meaning, this September will be my first time ever hunting elk with my bow.  I'm giving myself a crash course in elk 101. I recently, as in yesterday 20 June 2015, received the University of Elk Hunting dvd. Awesome! Corey really covered a TON of information. Just the suggestion of using Google Earth to assist in preseason scouting blew my mind. Overall, I really learned alot. And will be watching this a bunch more times before my hunt. I just wanted to introduce myself and thank Corey for a great learning tool. I hope to learn much more from this forum before my hunt.

welcome to the addiction, He did a great job on the dvd and if you look through some of the older post on this site you will be amazed at how much good info you can find here and its all free. don't be afraid to comment on and bring up some of those older post , a ton of great stuff that lots of people may be interested in that they didn't see .

Thank you turbo! I haven't even been on an elk hunt and I'm already addicted. I've been practicing my mouth calls. Also I've been using Chris Roe's site for learning about elk behavior. That guy is money. Thanks for the reply. I definitely will be using this forum to gain as much knowledge about this wonderful beast!

welcome to the club my name is cowboystl1 and i am addicted to elk hunting. dont be afraid to ask there is a lot of knowledge here might want to get the Extreme elk magazine as well best mag ever tons of great info. best advice i can give is stop and make an elk budget now then increase it by 1000$ and your ready to begin.

Thanks cowboy! Yes I've noticed that there are things I'll need, ie backpack, that won't be free. Plus I'm already dropping 600$ on the tag and my buddy wants to hunt unit 18. So I've researched the harvest stats for that unit. Consistently in the BOTTOM 10%, 8% for 2014, for harvest/hunter ratio. It's near RMNP &  Estes Park. Meaning tons of hunters. I can't justify paying alot of $$ for a tag to hunt an area that is not great, when other units produce way better harvest ratios all because your neighbor said to hunt there. I'm guessing the Bulls are pretty well educated on calls. If I have to, I have no problem going it alone. Which is why I've started doing my homework now. Not sure how serious he is about hunting elk. Hell, he said he's going to borrow his neighbor's bow for the hunt. I've lived in CO, sadly, I never had the time to hunt. And I did my time in the mountains of Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure I can handle a solo hunt. Don't want to but if it has to be, I'm there! Sorry for the tangent. I'm here to gain knowledge. Thank you for your reply cowboy!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back