Upcoming move

VTHOKEE

Mar 4, 2016
Well I\'m finally leaving NM and heading to Arkansas. Not sure what to expect there but everything I have heard is positive. We are excited about buying a house, lots of camping adventures and of course whitetail hunting again. I have also heard I need to take up duck hunting. Any advice about Arkansas is welcome.

wow!!

i freaked out moving to another county..a diff state would make me pass out. kudos to you!!

you gonna grab a lifetime license on the way out?

good luck!!

Hmmm, giving up the western animals for whitetails and ducks. I\'m trying to head west but the wife has different plans.

Good luck, I\'m sure things will be great. A co-worker bought a bunch of land in Arkansas some years ago and plans on retiring there next year. Says the hunting is great...

Until I retire I will remain a NM resident for both tax and hunting purposes. This move has a lot of positives so we are looking fwd to it.

Just moved from Colorado to Oklahoma so feel your pain or upcoming pain! Always said we\'d never move from CO unless our family needed us and so now in whitetail country. Will still get back to CO each year for elk unless the tags go up more then will be hard to justify along with all the other trip expenses.

Center of the state... Make your pick were to hunt since most of rural Arkansas has fine hunting... WMA\'s, national forest and national refuges are good private land but expect company when you hunt most of them... A lot of timber company and private that we hunted years ago has become totally private due to leasing of the property by individuals or hunting camps.. Hunting camps are always looking for members and fees range from reasonable to extreme... Don\'t know where you will be working but normally you can find places to hunt through folks at work... Where I hunt deer is in southern Arkansas and is leased land from timber companies and private land owners... Our camp and lease fees are a bit more than I like to pay but I enjoy the folks and area I hunt... Don\'t know if we have any openings for membership and not many folks archery hunt that I know of...
Most WMA\'s are draw only for big game hunting... Some are easy to draw but have a lot of permits available... If you get into duck hunting its a lot more expensive to lease private land and public land is usually crowded!!!!! Here again folks at work or folks you deer hunt with can help you out with that if they want to...
I\'ve hunt Arkansas for many many years and enjoyed it all... But it changed a lot over the years like back when I was a kid and young adult it was me, myself and I along with my dad, brother and best friend... Now it\'s me, myself and I along with my boys (2), their wives, the grandkids (5) and a bunch of friends, not including half the neighborhood... :D :D
I think you will find Arkansas a great place to live and hunt but it\'s nothing like out west... Not near as much open country and high hilltops here as out there... Lots of clear cuts and pine thickets where I hunt...

Hope that helps and if you need any help you can PM me for additional Information...

Phil, thanks for the information. I am confused when it comes to the WMAs. Is the permits for gun and muzzleloader hunts or for archery also?? I\'ll be pm\'ing you once we get to Little Rock AFB and I get things figured out. I\'ve already looked at a WMA and hunting on base. Also any suggestions on a good duck gun that won\'t break the bank.

You don\'t have to draw a permit to hunt WMA\'s but some new rules may require yo to have a free user permit.
Don\'t know what you\'re looking for in duck gun. For years I shoot a Remington 870 pump gun which are reasonably priced.
With all the new brands now you can probably get a semi automatic for around the same price that\'s a pretty good gun.
My oldest grandson shots a Tri Star I think is the name. Looks I said there are a lot of good shotguns on the market now.
I use an improved cylinder choke most of the time. Some folks like modified but that\'s just a choice thing.
I also shoot smaller steel shot that most. 6\'s and 4\'s but I don\'t shoot at longer ranges like some do. Plus it put more shot in pattern
Any other questions feel free to ask and I\'m be happy for to help if I can.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back