URGENT PLS READ!

montanaelk31

Mar 18, 2014
Disregard if no grizzlies are in your hunting area.

I elk hunt in moderate grizzly country.  Yesterday my hunting partner frontal shot a big bull at 16 yards and got only 1 lung.  We trailed the bull for 4 hr and finally found him dead and 730 p.m.  Over a mile and a half blood trail.  Huge. We immediately thought that the long blood trail would attract grizzlies.  We boned, bagged, caped (I'll post a pic here on the Meatpole soon) and got out of there at 9 p.m.  We put the cape and horns 200yd from the kill and continued another 200 to stage a few meat bags in the creek.  I suggested that my partner go grab the cape and horns while I fill the water bladders (80 degree day).He went 100 yards. It was dark.  He caught eyes looking at him 70 yards away.  Huge.  He screamed, "hey bear".  And just like that, it charged.  He had his 44 in his hand and fired.  The bear cut the charge and detoured.  He ran back to me.  We both were pretty shook up. It wasn't over.  We staged all 4 bags in the creek and walked directly toward our rig.  2 more griz right in front of us 50 yard. We held our ground, pistols drawn, bear spray ready.  After a few minutes both bears wandered off.  We hightailed it outta there. No further incident. Horsing it out today 
LESSONS LEARNED
1. NEVER, EVER, Split up in bear country for any reason.
2.  Never Put your guard down. Even if you do everything right, the S---- can still hit the fan.
3. Pack both the bearspray and the firearm.  Great idea.
4. Buy the brightest headlight you can if you plan on walking out in the dark in bear country. 
PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE GUYS!  Personally, I will not be hunting in moderate griz country from this point on.  6 hours of horror not worth elk.  And elk hunting is what I live for. 

Wow, glad to hear you guys made it out alright. That would scare me enough to not hunt in griz country anymore either!

They are getting almost a staple to see anymore. I hunt SW Montana, FWP caught and tagged 9 griz in 2 weeks up Taylors. I shot a bull opening day (evening) quartered and hung for getting him out with horses the next day, wasfully expecting/prepared to have a griz on it over night.  Just saw a guy got attacked this weekend on the Madison side. Glad you guys were prepared, and hope you got the elk out okay. 

I'm with cohunter14 on this one. I'm an avid hunter but elk isn't worth the risk. My brothers wife put her foot down on him hunting  Coloradoarchery season solo at almost 61 yrs. old.
I thought with his fitness level it would be okay but after reading this post I have my doubts even hunting an area with no grizzlies.

Where about a are you hunting?  Has anyone had any issues in 324 Montana?  We've hunted there the last 3 years and haven't seen a bear but have seen sign that they are there.

I dont think anyone should disregard this even if there arent griz in your hunting area.
Blackies are often over-looked in the danger department

Not too often is the story of the Bloodtrailing and quartering process so exciting that the teller doesn't even mention the stalk, the calling interaction or the setting for the kill shot!  I would have needed new drawers for sure.  I've never hunted in Griz country.  I think I will eventually, but I know that im not ready for it yet.  At my current experience level it would just be too stressful.  Every twig snapping outside my tent would grab my attention. I know I would be on edge the entire time (a good thing!), so it wouldn't be an enjoyable trip.  My wife would also be a wreck the whole time I was gone and probably mad at me for a month afterwards for making her worry so much.  Like you, even if it was highly successful, I know I would just be happy to have it behind me.

On the flip slide though, you've got yourself one Hell of a story!  One I know you will tell for many, many years!

I know you will but ill say it anyway b/c it's important that this stays a good story and not a tragic one. - Be careful today going back in for the meat.  Im not talking about the bears so much here as i am about you and your partner's mental state.  It obviously rattled you as it would anyone with half a brain, so just know that your mind will be instinctually working in overdrive when you get back to that area today.  You will naturally be focused on the potential threat, but maybe not on where your trigger finger is.  Foot placement, etc.  Be mentally prepared that your horses might get spooky, you might get spooky...  two drawn and loaded pistols in that kind of situation is a recipe for trouble.  Maybe both of you have experience with firearms in high stress environments already and if so I apologize for sounding like a know-it-all. 

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

As a Montana resident, I think it important to remind all the readers. We are currently in (early) " bow season" . Which is why these hunters can only be armed with pistols for " emergency" self defense.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Glad you made it out safe. Never be afraid to let .44 dog bark in bear country...

westbound said:
Where about a are you hunting?  Has anyone had any issues in 324 Montana?  We've hunted there the last 3 years and haven't seen a bear but have seen sign that they are there.
South of Ennis, north of Idaho. So yeah, right near you.
Trying to post pics now.  Nice 320 bull.

We were dropping in with 2 cowboys 3 horses and 6 dogs into drainage we had the meat and horns.  All of the sudden, 2 pistol shots 5 seconds apart.  It's been 4 days, haven't heard any outcomes on that.  Weed got all 232 lb out , cape and horns with no incident. Stay together out there! Will put the pix and story on the meat pile here!

Just got back from 9 days in SW Montana.  Didn't have any encounters but did cut some fresh grizz tracks one morning after an over night snow.  Also found a sign that MT fish and game posted that there was a possible wounded grizzly in the area.  It sounds like one of the guys that got attached said he didn't get a shoot off but after they interviewed him a second time a couple days later he admitted he wounded the bear.  All I have to say is it really changes the way you hunt and makes you more aware of your surroundings knowing there is a grizzly bear in the area and it might be wounded!!!

Be careful out there!!

There's a hunt to remember.  I'll stick with the black bears and mountain lions.  Glad you guys kept your heads and made it out safely.

Reading this sent shivers down my spine. Glad that you guys are okay. I'll be taking note of these as a reminder.

I hunted in the heart of Grizzly country this year. Saw fresh tracks and scat. No encounters. I was hoping to see some and get some pics. Maybe next time.

Bowhunter1 said:
I hunted in the heart of Grizzly country this year. Saw fresh tracks and scat. No encounters. I was hoping to see some and get some pics. Maybe next time.

Stay safe out there, man. Would be glad to see photos if ever you happen to come across some.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back