Using a diaphragm call

Big Tex

Jan 8, 2013
Always thought I was pretty decent using a diaphragm but after watching the Elk Univ video I have the impression I'm doing it wrong.  I seem to largely use airflow vs tongue pressure to change my tone.  I just can't seem to use just pressure.  What am I missing?

When I was learning, I started off just blowing the same pressure and started out with barely any tongue pressure. I then just slowly pushed my tongue onto the reed harder to make the higher note. Once I got used to doing that with the same air pressure it all came together pretty easily.

I was wondering what types or brands of calls people are using, I have some Primos ones and they have the plastic dome on them and dont seem to fit my mouth right.

I learned how to use a diaphragm when i was about 9 for turkey hunting but i must of never learned the right way.  I too use a lot of air pressure and not a lot of tongue pressure.  Ive been working hard on changing it and it seems to be slowly coming around.  I can not get the hang of using single reed calls for some reason it just doesnt turn out very well. I practice hard everyday in hopes to become a decent caller.

It all depends on what calls fit you and that are easiest for you to use. I personally love the Bugling Bull calls. I use the mellow yellow momma and the raging bull primarily and also sometimes the all-star. I have a couple of the Steve Chappell calls coming from the elk101 store as well. I believe they are the estrus excited and the challenge. They are also made by Bugling Bull. I have found that they are the easiest for me to use and sound better because of how comfortable I am with them. Once you find some that work, stick with them.

I have been using diaphragm calls for turkeys for years and it really helped with my elk calling.  With elk diaphragms I have found that tongue pressure is key where it seems air is more important with turkey calls.  I use Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls as well.  They are Bugling Bull calls, just a different name.  One thing to try when cow calling is to just drop your bottom jaw and it will relax your tongue just enough.  For bugling there is multiple things you can add from groans in your throat to lip sputtering.  The hardest part I have found is chuckling.  Here is a link to a great video done by Rockie Jacobsen on using diaphragm calls.  I used his tips and picked it up pretty easily.  I'm definitely no pro, but coming along.  Also if you are having trouble with diaphragm calls try out an open reed call and keep practicing with diaphragms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXE3klyQOk

Summer nailed it. Each of our pallets are different. Experiment with various manuf and find reeds that work for you and then practice and try various tech of using the reeds. More or less pressure, throat and stomach pressure, vibrating. You name it, try it. For me personally bugling bull, Chappell and big bull diaphragms are in my arsenal. 75 days to call for real ;D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back