Using a fat-tire Ebike for hunting

Counselor

Jul 7, 2018
I have been doing some research on fat-tire eBikes for hunting (plus fun) and thought I?d check to see if anyone out there has had experience with them. I am eyeing the Backcountry Ebikes Mule 1000 and the QuietKat Apex. They are not cheap but under some circumstances I think they could be helpful for scouting, archery elk hunting and turkey hunting.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no personal experiences with them, but I sure would like to know as well.  I?ve been eyeing the same bike for a while now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Check out bowsite.com and click on Features at the top.  Pat did a great review on one of the QuietKat models and he's pretty good about getting back to you if have questions.

I just tried one out.  My wife doing some advertising for a friend just opening a store.  I have mountain biked quite a bit during hunts, and on the right trail they can be a huge benefit mostly in covering ground quickly and into places you aren't willing to get to on foot.  Adding a motor that is still quiet and doesn't smell like gas will do nothing but help.  Again it will only be helpful on certain trails or logging road etc...but the only negative will be the cost!

I've been looking into these also.  I see so many advantages to having one.  Only problem is you need to make sure and check game laws for the state your hunting.  Since it is motorized, even though its electric, in most states you can only take it on normal roads or trails that allow for motorized vehicles.

cmuske25 said:
I've been looking into these also.  I see so many advantages to having one.  Only problem is you need to make sure and check game laws for the state your hunting.  Since it is motorized, even though its electric, in most states you can only take it on normal roads or trails that allow for motorized vehicles.

I think this is the biggest issue, since it is motorized you won't be able to take it everywhere you'd like. There are benefits in certain areas, but overall to me where I hunt it doesn't seem to practical.

This is the same issue I'm running into.  I love the concept, but for the price point and the lack of practicality for all the areas I want to explore, I think its going to have to wait. 

cmuske25 said:

If you use a 750w [or less] e-bike , its not considered motorized

cnelk said:
cmuske25 said:

If you use a 750w [or less] e-bike , its not considered motorized
This is incorrect for OR.  I have no idea about other states. 

My buddy has done extensive research on e-bikes [he uses one on closed roads all the time]

"As far as riding them on USFS closed roads and other places open to regular bicycles, the USFS has a policy declaring them as "motorized vehicles", which is in direct conflict with Federal Law H.R. 727 which specifically states that they are NOT "motorized vehicles".

CO passed a state law declaring e-bikes are NOT considered motorized vehicles, as well. HB17-1151.

I wouldnt worry about it. But I know many would.

Thanks for all the responses!

I have noticed a trending theme in eBike discussions on legal trail use/access and that is for good reason.

This isn?t meant to be in depth but I will add my two cents.

State land: each State can regulate trail use on their land. I have spoke with a few individuals close to the issue and heard that some states are starting to permit eBikes with motors less than or equal to 750W, to be used on trails where ordinary mountain bikes are used. This is NOT universal.

USFS: the forest service can regulate trail use on USFS land. Local/regional forest service authorities can adopt regulations that differ from other USFS districts.

BLM: the BLM can regulate trail use on BLM land. Local/regional BLM authorities can adopt regulations that differ from other BLM districts.

The good news is that I have spoke with 5 different eBike manufacturers and each one has told me that their industry as a whole is lobbying to have the regulations updated at the state and federal level in a manner that will permit eBikes on more trails.

Naturally, the states are responding faster; but changes are expected at the federal level.

When that actually occurs or what the changes will look like is not something I am prepared to comment on. But what might be impractical today could be practical some time in the future!

I called CO head of trails and talked to a game warden.  Both informed me that motorized to any degree is not allowed.

Counselor said:
Thanks for all the responses!

I have noticed a trending theme in eBike discussions on legal trail use/access and that is for good reason.

This isn?t meant to be in depth but I will add my two cents.

State land: each State can regulate trail use on their land. I have spoke with a few individuals close to the issue and heard that some states are starting to permit eBikes with motors less than or equal to 750W, to be used on trails where ordinary mountain bikes are used. This is NOT universal.

USFS: the forest service can regulate trail use on USFS land. Local/regional forest service authorities can adopt regulations that differ from other USFS districts.

BLM: the BLM can regulate trail use on BLM land. Local/regional BLM authorities can adopt regulations that differ from other BLM districts.

The good news is that I have spoke with 5 different eBike manufacturers and each one has told me that their industry as a whole is lobbying to have the regulations updated at the state and federal level in a manner that will permit eBikes on more trails.

Naturally, the states are responding faster; but changes are expected at the federal level.

When that actually occurs or what the changes will look like is not something I am prepared to comment on. But what might be impractical today could be practical some time in the future!

The guy I talked to in CO stated that they are reviewing a level system for off road vehicles to categories them by size and type of propulsion. This will hopefully be applied in the future, who knows how long that may take, but basically it designed to do as you stated and allow more of these new smaller electric vehicles to have access to more trails that are currently off limits.

They should be considered motorized. They have a "motor". Stick your boots in the oven don't make them biscuits. My $.02. Now  if you leave the battery at camp...?????...OK

I?ve been researching this subject for about a year now. Just about to make a purchase in the next month or so. Check out the RadRover model made by Radpower. It?s a company out of Seattle that has been around for 8 years now. They sell directly out of the factory so they don?t pay distribution which saves a lot on mark up. I?ve seen a few of them here in Albuquerque and people like them. The Rad Rover has a payload capacity of 275 pounds and costs $1,499. Definitely worth checking out. I?m buying one this summer

I purchased the Quietkat Ranger 750 last year after the Oregon archery elk season. My plan is to use it this season on gated roads and other ATV/UTV trails in my hunting areas. I took it in a few times to my blacktail areas and it was nice to have. Yeah, a little on the spendy side but buy once cry once if it's useful and beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I purchased a Radrover 2 years ago.  It is my go to rig for night bugling.  Ebikes are considered motor vehicles on national forest trails so you can only take them where motorized are allowed. But definite game changer for locating elk in the dark.

HiZ said:
Anyone use a bike when you go out west to hunt?
I live out west and sometimes use my electric bike when I hunt. It is all dependent on where I'm hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cnelk said:
My buddy has done extensive research on e-bikes [he uses one on closed roads all the time]

"As far as riding them on USFS closed roads and other places open to regular bicycles, the USFS has a policy declaring them as "motorized vehicles", which is in direct conflict with Federal Law H.R. 727 which specifically states that they are NOT "motorized vehicles".

CO passed a state law declaring e-bikes are NOT considered motorized vehicles, as well. HB17-1151.

I wouldnt worry about it. But I know many would.

This is the kind of stupidity that permeates too many topics on the Internet.

1.  H.R. 727 is NOT a Federal Law.  H.R. indicates a resolution put forward by the House of Representatives, it is NOT law.  H.R. 727 was a proposed change to the Federal Register (THE LAW), in 2002 that would update the Consumer Product Safety Act.  When the language of H.R. 727 was passed and added to THE LAW, it had nothing to with the use of Ebikes, it simply allowed the Federal Government to control the safety features of Ebikes.  It applies to consumer safety and has nothing what so ever to do with the rules and regulations of USING an Ebike on public or private lands.

2.  Telling people that you wouldn't worry about it is irresponsible and promotes violating laws that can cause financial liability that most would find pretty damaging.  Personally, I'd laugh if I found out that you were being sued for damages after taking your advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back