Utah is hitting cards....

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
How did you do???

A little bird told me someone on here got a good tag ;)

I assume you redeemed some points?

Yes sir, 16 to be exact.

Been putting in for the Bookcliffs, switched over to SWD and drew one of the three archery tags. I'm assuming I drew the one tag that was in the max point pool.

Congrats Don way to draw!  I was reading something to where in UT they can change tag allotment or decide after the deadline how many tags to issue?  Is this correct?  I think it was for a sheep though if I remember correctly from earlier today.

After you apply for a tag and the draw is closed they propose and approve tag numbers. This could help or mess someone up on the draw as tags can be added or taken away and you would not know until later. They had a Bison hunt last year that had issues and the board decided to give everyone that was unsuccessful a chance to hunt this year again.  I think like only 3 or 4 people have a chance to draw this year due to that.

Congrats Don.  How many points did you have if you don't mind me asking?  SWD was my first choice for several years.  This year I went a different route and shared points with a great friend and went for Wasatch and got skunked!  Oh well, always next year.

Lang,

I had 16 points. I have been going for the Bookcliffs, but changed it up after some talks with friends that where in the unit. Im pretty excited, will be taking 3 weeks off and at least one of my boys (maybe two) will be along. Been pouring over Google Earth, and hunt OnXmaps and getting as much info together as I can.

Don,
Thanks for explaining.  Does that apply to Utah residents and non res?  I haven?t looked into Utah much for applying.  Is it a once in a lifetime type of draw odd for non res?

I would take a look here for draw odds for Utah. https://www.toprut.com/hunt/utah-elk-minimum-bonus-points-archery/nr/um/79/?view=list
The unit I drew had 3 tags for NR. 1 in the bonus pool where the highest bonus point holder gets and the other two everyone that didnt get the one tag has a chance at. Resident odds are a bit better, but I beleive you have to choose your animal your building points for. Once you draw a limited entry tag for elk you have a waiting period before you even can build points again. Theres a good explanation here http://www.hunterstrailhead.com/index.php?ID=48
You have to buy a hunting license to apply for points or a hunt. The license is good for 1 year from date so if you buy the license late in the app period you can actually use it for two years since you can apply early in the period the second year.  If you look at the overall tag numbers in the NR draw there really isnt a bunch of tags, but for the overall cost to apply you have a chance to draw a tag every year although the chance may be slim.

Great thanks for laying that out. I?ll check it out. Much appreciated.  So I bet you must be super excited!  Can?t wait to hear how it goes for you.

Don K said:
Southwest Desert here I come!!!

How did your hunt go?? It was an extremely tough archery hunt in the central/southern part of the state.  One of the toughest in recent memory 

How did your hunt go?? It was an extremely tough archery hunt in the central/southern part of the state.  One of the toughest in recent memory 
I had a great hunt, lots of fun, saw a ton of elk and harvested a decent bull. I tried uploading some pics here on this site but they where too big in size.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back