Utah OTC Archery Tags

nateysmith

Aug 8, 2013
I am looking for some advice on some of the OTC units for this coming 2014 archery season.  I have been thinking of an Any Bull unit.  The units that I have been looking at are: North Slope, South Slope and Chalk Creek.  I don't mind putting in the time and the energy it would take to get in deep.  I don't have horses, but I do have access to some for getting an elk out if I get one down. Also, I am not asking for honey holes just the unit you would consider hunting. What are your thoughts?  I am looking for somewhere where I can get off the beaten path and really into the backcountry.  I have not hunted these units, I generally do OTC Spike Elk units.  I have been training pretty hard with my setup and also improving my fitness level.  Are there other units I should be considering?  I know success is in the 10% area on all of these units.  I have been looking over https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/annual_reports/12_bg_report.pdf for success rates and bull to cow ratios.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! PMs are welcome as well.

Utah OTC units are tough for sure.  If you look at the herd stats there are way more elk on the South Slope than North Slope but you do have to get in there a little deeper.  Chalk Creek I have heard has a lot of private so I have never really checked it out over there.  If you hunt hard and are able to spend quite a bit of time in the woods during the season you can beat the trends and be successful. 

I've spent 3 years on the OTC units and have had some good luck.  Both myself and my hunting partner have taken bulls 2 of the 3 years we've hunted together.  It gets a bit crowded but just like everywhere else if you get a mile or 2 off the roads you can get away from them. 

If I were starting fresh I'd focus on the South Slope and pick a good looking spot on google earth a couple miles from the road and start scouting this summer.  One thing I have found is that major trails for hikers aren't necessarily a bad thing, they are easy to get in on and then you can just cut off them into a canyon or 2 over and get into some good elk country.

The elk on the OTC units are smart.  If you are happy taking a cow or spike the LE units are way easier.  I had the Manti archery any bull tag last year and I could have taken a cow or spike nearly every day there.  I however like being able to shoot branch antlered bulls so that is why I go on the any bull units.

Thanks ElkManDan.  This was the kind of information that I was looking for.  I have pulled down the DWR's kml for use in google earth.  I will be looking it over and see what spots I can find and then get some boots on the ground this summer as time allows. 

I know the Wasatch fairly well.  I know that it would be easier, but I am looking to get into some branch antlered bulls.  I think it will be a little more difficult, but I am willing to take the challenge head on. 

Would you mind if I hit you up with some PMs with some spots that I find and your thoughts on them?

Chalk creek area is all private. If you want to shell out some $$ you can find some elk, but dont expect too see 300 class bulls.

Its been a few years ago. We hunted the south slope for two years in a row. There were three of us and we pulled down a 310 bull. We hunted in some rugged country.

Oldcarp,  do you mind if I ask you where you hunt now if not the Any bull units?  I hear South slope is rugged and I am looking for any advice.

UtahElkHunter,  Shoot me a PM any time.  I've got spots that I have been wanting to check out on the South Slope but since I drew LE tag last year I didn't get out to scout them.  Don't know if I'll get there this year either depending on how draws go I might not.  I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts on some good spots there.

UtahElkHunter said:
ElkManDan, 

That would be extremely gracious of you.  I will send you a PM.
Oldcarp said:
Not a problem. Just let me know how you do.
UtahElkHunter said:
Thanks, I got it.  I appreciate you helping me out. 

Hi, I just sent a PM to the three of you (ElkManDan, Oldcarp, & UtahElkHunter), looking for pointers on this subject. Can you let me know if you've received the messages? I'm new to the forum and am not sure how to "tag" people in posts. Maybe I'll start a new thread on the subject. Let me know. Thanks!

Ben

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back