Utah OTC bull

Bradyshawn

Jan 28, 2013
This is my dads 2009 OTC utah rifle bull on public land. He is no monster but one of the biggest bulls I have seen in the area, roughly 312.

Attachments

• Dads elk 3.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Dads elk 3.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 4
Congrats to him, Very Nice Bull.

I did some research on Utah, about 5 years ago, I thought that most OTC tags there were Spike only ?

Kevin

There is some great OTC tags available here in Utah.  Bucky, you are correct, kind of.  Most of the southern part of the state is spike only for OTC tags because the units are limited entry draws units.  I hunt the Wasatch front on an OTC archery tag every year and I can say i have seen 300-380 class bulls.  Had a 360 bull at 60 yards int the trees last year that I just couldn't seal the deal on. 

Here is a bull I took a few years ago on the WF extended area during the rut and a friends bull from the year before. Both score 305-310 P&Y and were killed within 50 yards of each other in the same canyon.  Well, actually it was the pre-rut (Aug. 21), but he was bugleing up a storm and had about 10 cows with him.  I typically hunt the 3rd-4th weekend since that is when the elk in the area I hunt really get into it.

Attachments

• 00000188 (Medium).JPG
    110 KB · Views: 7
  • 00000192 (Medium).JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 00000173.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 0
Western Skies said:
Utah archery is typically mid August to mid September.  If you are lucky you get a little of the early rut.

The general archery runs about mid August through mid September so you will catch a little pre-rut action.  If you live close to the Wasatch Front near Salt Lake, there are areas that have an extended hunt that allow you to hunt from the end of the general season in mid September all the way until the end of November for a bull and into mid December for a cow. 

There is also an extended area out on the east side of the state near Vernal that also has an extended area too.

Here are a couple more that I got on my trail cam from this last fall that I never was able to put a tag on.

Attachments

• PICT0444(2).jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 54
  • PICT0445(2).jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 51
  • PICT0565(2).jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 49
  • PICT0566(2).jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 52
Wow those are some great front bulls.  Utah's OTC hunts are pretty much pre-rut and post-rut.  Other then the extended archery.  However depending when the rut hits you may get some action in the later part of archery season and or during the rifle season.  I do the rifle season every year for a meat hunt. Normaly we get a few locator bugles not much coming in. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back