Videoing Solo

jenbickel

Jan 16, 2013
I'm trying to figure out some sort of something that I can use to help me video while I'm solo hunting.. which is mainly all I do! I'm supposed to be filming myself for the company I work for and missed out a lot last year because I just couldn't get set up with my camera in time. I spot and stalk mainly and generally don't have the time to set up a tripod and camera...

One solution would be a POV or action camera like a Gopro, the Gopro has a wide field of view and large depth of field which is good for close work. like a helmet mount or bow mount. that would take care of the stalking part. I think any time you decide to video a hunt, especially solo, something will be compromised; either the hunt or the video.

I bought myself a GoPro HD2 outdoor edition and it just arrived the other day.  So far i have tried it with a head mount and i have been shooting in the backyard and then review the footage.  So far it seems to work out great.  Just cant wait to try it out in the field.

I'm also thinking about a gopro.  You can mount it on your bow, on your head, or wherever.  That's the great thing about the gopro.  and if you have two you could have one on you bow facing you and one on the animal so you have multiple angles.  If you have never seen Solo Hunters, most of that show is filmed on the gopro.  By far my favorite show.

Ill have to check out the dvd cuz i dont like to wait for my hunting shows to come on. I want to watch it now.....

BullHunter said:
Ill have to check out the dvd cuz i dont like to wait for my hunting shows to come on. I want to watch it now.....

haha i hear you.  they have three seasons.  fourth one starts this year

Jen, A sad reality is that hunting solo and trying to video does not work well. However, if the state you are hunting allows, velcro a palm camera to your bow. The sound is not very good on these units so you can use an independent mic for audio and then merge them in production. Next idea: The newer SLR cameras have better video cababilities than most others and they are very compact. I put a Cannon 60D on top of a fluid head with 2 pound sticks. With this, you will at least not have too much extra weight and bulk. We use a pair of these on our hunts and put shot gun mics on top. The shotgun picks up a bull bugeling from way off. In our four years of video on the bulls we have found one thing to be true. Get a good camerman who is always available.

Mark Z said:
Get a good camerman who is always available.

Ive been looking for a good cameraman but it always seems like they would rather not go unless hunting.  Havent found a reliable one yet.

BullHunter said:
Mark Z said:
Get a good camerman who is always available.

Ive been looking for a good cameraman but it always seems like they would rather not go unless hunting.  Havent found a reliable one yet.

yeah it's hard enough finding someone just to go with me, let alone film

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I might have to try all the suggestions until I find something that really works well. I might have found someone to come out and film for me too so that would be extremely helpful! lol :)

Well you cant beat actually having someone out there filming if for you.  Beat trying to make sure everything is all set up in time.

One of the biggest things to think about is good audio.. Gopros are great little cameras but you need to get a better mic and or record the audio separately. Also a DSLR for any b-roll and interview type stuff.. 

I'm a hunter who films other hunters:

http://www.huntography.com/elktour/

Let me know how I can help.

Rudy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back