Virginia Boys (old men) Colorado Archery DIY

Bullnuck

Sep 25, 2019
Well, we are on our 30 hour drive home from our Colorado public land DYI elk hunt. Still riding the high of a truly awesome elk hunt. We hunted our first week sharing the woods with the muzzleloader hunters. I will have to say it was the most hunters that we have ever seen on our great public lands. Which is a good thing but as we all know it tends to make the elk hunting tough. The elk were not very vocal in the areas that we hunted that first week. On the evening of day 8 we came back to an area that we had placed cameras on several wallows and discovered that the activity had picked up. The next morning, after a short blind calling session, my brother?s arrow found its mark on his first archery bull. The 6x6 came in silent to his and his partner?s cow calls. The four of us were on top of the world. We had beat the odds as our team was now at a 25% success rate. But as we drifted into some much needed sleep that night, we had no idea how unbelievable God?s blessing would be. The next morning my partner and I finally had a bull respond to our locator bugle. But with a terrible wind and the rough terrain there was no way to make a play that morning. So we backed out and waited until the thermals changed around midday. We moved in slowly not knowing the bull?s location. We decided to get in the area and let the bull make the first move. We finally heard a grunt from the bull around 4:00. He was across the canyon and was getting more vocal as we made our approach. The afternoon thermals allowed us to drop in tight on the bull. My partner was set up as shooter slightly above me thinking the bull would approach using the wind to his advantage. We started with a few cow calls followed by some light raking. Then picking up the pace, I gave a short moan and the bull responded with a throaty bugle. I quickly screamed over top of his bugle. He was now below us. So I had to quickly became the shooter and my partner the caller. Within minutes I saw the beast at around 85 yards. He slowly moved up the ridge ripping bugles as my partner continued to challenge him. He stopped at about 70 yards and thrashed a tree. I was trying to hold it together. He then continued up the ridge and as he passed some trees I drew only to have my arrow fall off the string. (So much for keeping it together) Luckily his view was still obstructed by the trees so I let off and re-nocked my arrow. He is now frontal at 50 yards. Just too risky of a shot. He ripped a couple bugles as his cows started calling behind him. But then finally turned broadside allowing me to draw and settle my 50 yard pin. I watched my arrow fly true. The bull ran a short distance and crashed within 10 seconds. I then collapsed with emotion. What a hunt! As we approached the bull, he kept growing. He was by far the biggest bull that I have ever killed and the largest body that I have ever seen on an elk. We were in shock and awe as we snapped a few photos. Then, out of nowhere, another bull bugled below us. We looked at each other....We had to try! My partner took his position a few yards below my dead bull and I backed up to call. As I started with few cow calls, the bull responded, and I immediately challenged him with a bugle. After a few more calls I was looking at the bull at 45 yards, literally through the antler tips of my dead bull.My partner drew and held the bow for over a minute but had no shot as the bull became uneasy and eased off over the ridge. I decided to try, for the first time, the ?bark-scream?. The bull turned and came right back in giving us his own ?bark scream?. I challenged back with another ?bark-scream? and he closed the distance even more offering my partner the shot. The bull ran off and we thought we heard him crash. We both collapsed to the ground in disbelief. What had we done? We have shot two bulls within 30 minutes and we later found his bull 250ft from mine. Words can?t describe the emotion......unbelievable.... God is good!!![

Attachments

• 6D3C1931-5189-48F8-994D-9B3D855533EB.jpeg
    6D3C1931-5189-48F8-994D-9B3D855533EB.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 207029F0-291A-4CC3-A6FA-4223DDAFFB13.jpeg
    207029F0-291A-4CC3-A6FA-4223DDAFFB13.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 15
  • BAE4CC4F-E6F5-414F-B850-EC87DFE808F8.jpeg
    BAE4CC4F-E6F5-414F-B850-EC87DFE808F8.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 13
  • AA8AFA36-FA3E-4BB2-A9A7-2531B56DE035.jpeg
    AA8AFA36-FA3E-4BB2-A9A7-2531B56DE035.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 12
Amen brother! Congrats that is truly awesome. I?m heading back to VA from Co right now. Took a 5x4 Saturday. God is good indeed!

:upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb: :thewave: :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

Great tale and super hunt...

Wow, great story and congrats on filling your tags.  I can bet the adrenaline was high during that last set up.

Wow, what an awesome story and some great bulls. Beautiful fronts on that one. Hope you were able to get them back to VA. I'm in MD so I know it can take a while to get antlers back home again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back