Water around the Steamboat CO area

jvanhoy

Jun 24, 2015
Anyone know how wet it's been this year in the mountains around Steamboat CO. I'm heading that way Sept 10th and found a really nice water hole in the timber last year that had alot of sign. Hoping that there's not water every where this year and it will still be getting hit hard. Thanks and good luck.

I'm only a little bit south of there and the backcountry has been getting a lot of precipitation this year.  The foliage is lush and thick, an excellent feed year for sure.  A lot can change between now and Sept. 10th though, so I'd still check it out.  Good luck!

Thanks a lot. You think the elk may stay up higher later this year? I normally get in them around 8500.

If it's hot for the next few weeks the bulls could still be high, but starting (if they haven't already) to transition/descend to their historical rutting areas. The cows will likely be lower with their calves, and the bulls will be in pursuit.

This doesn't help,but an old elk hunting cowboy once told me, "the elk are where you find them."

Good luck!

That's very true arrows4elk. I'm probably over thinking this whole water thing. Thanks a bunch for your input and good luck to you as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back