Water Bottle or Hydration Bladder???

Thats how I hunted this year ghost.  I didn't have a problem carrying 1 32oz bottle of water for the day.  I never ran out and we were back at camp every night to refill and rehydrate.

I know I use way more water in september (70-90 degree weather) than I do in say October , November. Spetember I will go through my whole bladder daily wich is 100oz or so. If I dont stay hydrated I get some nasty migrane headaches.

I used to get some of the same headaches from dehydration sometimes. But living in the mountains and training in the same environment that I hunt in has helped me tremendously. I've been able to drop the hydration bladder and carry a smaller water bottle. I just drink small amounts now and then. Just because you are huffing and puffing doesn't mean you need to drink water. At that rate you WILL go through an entire bladder for sure. S-L-O-W down, catch you breath often and while doing so think about how much harder you have to train for the next season.

I use a disposable water bottle so I can squeeze the air out. That way the water doesn't make noise as it slushes in the empty space in the bottle.

Bladder seems to work good for me. Easy to pump into with my filter when empty and very easy to get to water while on the move.

dplumlee12 said:
Thats how I hunted this year ghost.  I didn't have a problem carrying 1 32oz bottle of water for the day.  I never ran out and we were back at camp every night to refill and rehydrate.

this is what I used to do for scouting and day hunts.  I would drink on the way out and then usually I wouldn't even use a whole 32 oz bottle, then I would hydrate on the way back.    But I mainly got the bladder just to make it easier and remind me to stay well hydrated.  It is a gravity filter so I can have a total of 8 liters which is great for multi day mountain hunts when I only pass a water source on the hike up.  the clean bag doubles as a 4 liter bladder so I shouldn't have to worry about hydration anymore

bladder and bottles. I add wilderness athlete to the bottles and drink one of them in the morning at lunch and in the evening.

I like my bladder seems like for the same reason as most.  I used to get kidney stones because I would not drink much all day.  With the bladder I still have to make myself drink.

I use a bladder but have had issues with the tube freezing in colder temperatures and not being able to drink from it.

I've tried a bladder but now only use bottles.  For me, I don't drink a lot but I just didn't like not knowing how much water was left in the bladder so I stuck with the bottles so I alway know how much I have.  The bottles do make noise but for me, it forces me to walk slower so that it doesn't make as much noise so in a way, it's kind of a good thing that it makes noise!

96 oz Bladder. On our scouting trips my buddies found out they need something more convenient than a small water bottle and the hassle of refilling more often.

I use a water bottle, but I drink out of every spring and creek I come to. It seems like it would be hard to get water out of a spring or creek with a bladder thing. I can will my bottle up pretty easy with any amount ofwater. But I guess if I didn't hunt where there was lots of water a bladder would be better cause it would hold more than my nalgene.

I use a 100 oz. bladder until it starts to get really cold.  The wind chill will freeze my mouthpiece so in Nov. and Dec. late hunts I will switch to bottled water.  I do have a wrap that goes around my bladder tube, but doesn't work too well when it gets super cold, it still will freeze.

I have both.  When im on the go i drink out of the hydration bladder but when i stop and take off my pack ill drink out of a water bottle.  Gotta stay hydrated.

I just use a water bottle but also carry a filtering straw that I picked up at REI just in case I get lost of stuck in the woods over night. I can just fill my bottler from a creek or whatever water source and drink it through the straw. It's good for quit a few gallans!

I use bladders on my hunts and during my long runs 6+ hrs. mostly I run 5+hr runs working towards 30 & 50 mile runs. :p

Bladder all the way. Bottles are for the campsite only for me. I prefer the bottles if I am sitting and eating dinner back at camp. But while out hunting, it is a bladder. I made a pocket in the side of my backpacks waist strap and put the tubing in there. That way it is concealed and out of the way while going through brush.

Water bottles forme.  I'll take three 32oz canteen style bottles.(thats the amount one tablet treats)  I'll carry two while hunting.  Leave the third at base camp.  Since I use tablets that require four hours to completely treat the water, I'll leave camp with both filled, On in the pack and the other in my cargo pocket.  Everytime I come to a water source, I'll finsih off a nearly empty bottle and refill, treat it and place it in my pack and bring out the fully treated one.  Works good for me.

I've never tried a bladder, those using a bladder must filter the water and not use tablets? 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back