Water filter pump what one do you us

The Sawyer inline filter in conjunction with a Platypus big zip works well, and you don't have to pump. It is also lighter than a pump.

If you really need a pump the MSR Sweetwater, and Katadyn Hiker Pro work well.

I have always used a Sweetwater pump filter for camping and hunting. I carry purification tablets as a back up. The Sweetwater is great, but in my constant search for lighter and smaller gear, I am going to be using a Steripen Freedom this season. It is rechargable, which should work perfect with my goal zero solar charger. I am going into this switch aware that reviews are mixed on the new Freedom from Steripen. Some people have reported operational errors. Hopefully I have a reliableone. As a back up I will still carry my tablets as I do with the Sweetwater.

I do not stay out over night so I just take a straw water filter I picked up at REI, I can just get water from a creak and stick the straw in and drink, it's good for quite a few gallons.

I decided not to use a pump.  I got a sawyer 4 liter water filter system.  It consists of two bags, a dirty bag and a clean bag and a hose with an inline filter connecting them.  You simply hang the dirty bag above the clean bag and it is gravity fed. no pumping involved.  and it is very lightweight

I have the Katadyn hiker too and used it many times on my backpacking hunts. It has come in handy.  I am currently looking for something a little less bulky and lighter.  Any suggestions?   

GoatT said:
I have the Katadyn hiker too and used it many times on my backpacking hunts. It has come in handy.  I am currently looking for something a little less bulky and lighter.  Any suggestions? 

I would suggest one of the sawyer bag systems.  they can flatten or roll up and are very lightweight

GoatT said:

The Sawyer inline filter would work well for you. Just make sure it does not freeze.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The Sawyer is cheap, ultra light, no moving parts, and works awesome. I fill a platypus 4 liter bag, go back to camp, hang the platypus and gravity feed. Super easy and fast. Plus, you aren't bent over pumping getting wet or bit by bugs. [/font]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back