water

linds1007

Dec 28, 2012
Has anyone used one of those new water filters witha straw you see advertised on tv? If so do they work good?

sawyer makes one thats in a bag that works really good I Dont know the weight but it is very compact and you just squeeze the bag and filtered water comes out.

moonie said:
sawyer makes one thats in a bag that works really good I Dont know the weight but it is very compact and you just squeeze the bag and filtered water comes out.

yeah it's called the sawyer squeeze filter.  it weighs 3 oz.(i think thats with the bags).
you can fill the bag and squeeze it into a bottle or drink from the filter itself (it has a push pull cap).  it can also thread onto most water bottles so you can just fill a water bottle and drink from it. pretty cool

I just look up and down stream to make sure there aren't any dead animals in my water then just drink straight from the stream. haha but thats just me

I have a friend who swears by the "stripen" that uses a light to kill micro-organisms to purify the water.  They traveled all over south America with backpacks and drank "steripen" water the whole time from rivers so it must work.  I have't bought the pen yet but I imagine it must be effective.  Also an option to check into which would cut weight.

The straws work fine, but you need a source to drink from them everytime ie. cant take it with you.
The Sawyer Inline filter works well, can use it inline or as a gravity filter.
If you want to use the steripen it works well also, might need extra batteries depending on usage, and you will probably want to use a coffee filter as a strainer for the floaties.

The straw I have you just keep using. Just fill you water bottle and drink through the straw. Like I said it is good for multiple gallons  its more than enough to get you out of trouble.

Fullabull said:
The straw I have you just keep using. Just fill you water bottle and drink through the straw. Like I said it is good for multiple gallons  its more than enough to get you out of trouble.

Is that the sawyer squeeze filter or another one that screws onto a bottle

Neither, it is really just a straw with a filer inside and you dip into whatever water you want to drink and start drinking. Like the on in the picture.

Attachments

• Straw_Water_Filter.jpg
    Straw_Water_Filter.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 36
I will have to look into that. Seems would be great as far as less weight than most other water filters.  I use the Katydyn Hiker right now and like it.  may need to get me one of these to savesome more weight.

I saw the TV commercial just last night for the first time and wondered about them. I don't think I would spend my money on it, A lot of the "Good" filters are frustration, I would stick with something that has good user reviews.
Like the Sawyer.

Jimbow65 said:
I saw the TV commercial just last night for the first time and wondered about them. I don'tthink I would spend my money on it, A lot of the "Good" filters are frustration, I would stick with something that has good user reviews.
Like the Sawyer.

That's what I did.  love the sawyer 4 liter system

Like I said, it's only for emergencies. If I were Bivy hunting for days I would have a regular filter but we only do day hunts so if we got lost or had to spend the night this straw works great!

Fullabull said:
Like I said, it's only for emergencies. If I were Bivy hunting for days I would have a regular filter but we only do day hunts so if we got lost or had to spend the night this straw works great!

yeah that'd be great if you have a pump filter you could leave it at home

I use the Seychelles water bottle filter. Holds 28oz if you want to carry that much. You just fill up bottle and suck it out of the flip top straw. Cost is in the mid $20 dollar range. Works great. Hard to squeeze water out if you want to transfer into additional water bottles. But my buddy had one that you could hold upside down and squeeze. Not sure what brand. Aqua something I think. Search Google or amazon for Seychelles 28oz water bottle. And I use the advanced filter. It is for non moving stagnant water. Overkill but makes me feel better.

Attachments

• 41CsB81FLyL._SL500_SX225_.jpg
    41CsB81FLyL._SL500_SX225_.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 13
Where we hunt, there is clear water available in streams so there is no need to drink from stagnant puddles. But I carry a 2-part iodine treatment for emergencies. I have heard that the chlorine treatments work better Aquamira I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back