weather in co unti 74/75 oct 29-nov 8

K9Kodi

Aug 20, 2015
never having been anywhere like it, what should I expect as the norm for hunting Colorado in that area outside of Durango.  Well be setting up camp at 8000 and hunting between 8-1000.
I know weather is finiky, but on average I would like to know what to expect.

Hard to say. Could have snow and you may not. I have hunted 75 2nd rifle and had been snowed out and also at times you could wear shorts and tang top. But you may have snow 10k or above at that time. Could creep a little lower. From what I here for that area is that you want the snow so it will push the elk from the higher elevations. Once they start moving you can see lots of elk. There has been times I've seen 100 elk in 2 days. I always prepare for the worst especially that time of year. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Good luck.

Thanks for responding. I've seen its got s lot of views and I'm sure a lot people are thinking I'm an idiot for not knowing or don't wanna waste their breath.  I gotta figure out how to pack and with airlines charging an arm and awg for baggage I Wanna be as slim as possible

Where you coming from? Wouldn't it be cheaper to drive? Are you going on an outfitted hunt? I know the airlines suck every dime they can. Well you can always look at it as if you were backpacking. You can live with the cloths on your back and a set to change into if they get wet. But for that time of year it can be wet and cold with a good chance of snow. So I probably would pack to keep warm, you can always take stuff off. If you are walking a lot you may not even wear most of it till you stop and sit.

It's gonna be freakin cold as he'll man. Could be waist deep @ 10k. That's gonna be hard tent camping. But ya never know... You'll adjust if nessesary, goodluck

I am coming from va beach va.  I would love to drive but at the moment 1) I don't have a truck reliable enough to take and 2) such last minute time off from work wouldn't work. I just finished training a rookie handler and it wouldn't be fair of me to just up and leave him solo on nights.  I will be driving next year as I'm getting my new truck at the end of the year.

I am not doing a guided hunt.  I am hunting unit 74 or 75 otc.  I have a lifelong friend who is a major in the special forces and hints that unit yearly and has had some good success.

I'm not too worried about the cold, he will be driving and have all of camp with him.  He's got great gear. 

I'll be bringing my 3 day pack as carry on which will have my hunting pants and insulated layers.  I'll be wearing my boots and jacket.  I will pack one bag with some more clothes, coveralls, camp wear and such and then my rifle case.

I understand the driving thing. That is a long haul. I will be in 75 for some bow hunting in 2 weeks and going to 34 for 2nd rifle (Cow). Hope we do well. Good luck on your hunt. Anytime in the mountains is a good time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back