Wet Rain Gear

Reid

Aug 24, 2015
When I'm in my bivy and its pouring rain I can never get my jacket and pants to dry enough to be comfortable the next day. Anyone have this problem. What are some of your ways to combat it?? Thanks in advance

Reid

The only thing that works is direct sunlight laying it out in the open mountain air.

If you are living in it while it rains then there is no easy solution unless you carry two sets.

Carry you a cheap .99 cent Wal-Mart rain poncho.

I use quality rain gear like Sitka, but all of it gets soaked with days of intense rain.

I think Reid is right, if you can't properly dry out your gear, with direct sunlight or with a fire, you're goingto be in for a long trip.  I use the Kuiu Yukon set during the fall seasons in the Pacific Northwest and it does a great job of keeping me dry.  I've yet to have it wet for multiple days in a row but given the quality of the gear, I think it has a chance of doing pretty well.

Hunting in the rain takes some skills to maintain being comfortable.  Investing in quality rain gear is a must.  Other than that, you could try getting one of those backpacking stoves that creates a hot tent so yo can dry out your gear at night.  They make small bivy type tents that can be used with a stove.  You'll be hot and dry in no time.

I wrote a review of the Yukon set by Kuiu.  You can find it at
http://www.bylandco.com/bylandgearreviews/kuiu-yukon-review

Emory
www.bylandco.com

This is the problem with trying to bivy camp in more than just a chance of rain.IMHO
You need to be able to get out of the weather to dry out.
A tent with a fly/vestibule& a floor, a tarp/fly and ability to get a fire going and clothes dried out and warm.
Basic survival stuff.
A down pour can turn into hypothermia ,quick.
And if your going to be in a rain/snow forest situation, better have real raingear or back ups.

Hank brings up a good point.  If you're wearing wet gear every day, you're going to risk hypothermia.  I'd suggest you ensure you're wearing a Merino base layer so if it does get wet, it'll still keep you warm.

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back