What about last week of season?

mattfly77

Sep 10, 2020
I just got back from 5 days of hunting in southern CO and we had to come out because of this unforecasted storm that has come through. But, we may have an opportunity to come back and hunt for the last 4 or 5 days of the archery season. Never hunted that late....will the bugling have started to fade by then or will they still be getting after it? Just curious about elk behavior at the end of the archery season....Thanks

They should still be bugling later in the season. The more difficult part of hunting later is the bulls are herded up with cows, so trying to pull one away can be more difficult. But it's always worth getting back out there and giving it a go!

I've heard bulls still bugling well into October while herded up with their cows.  They don't all come into estrus at the exact same time, some may be delayed by a few days and then they come in again if they were not bred.  I'll be out there if my tag isn't punched... 

Wyo67 said:
I've heard bulls still bugling well into October while herded up with their cows.  They don't all come into estrus at the exact same time, some may be delayed by a few days and then they come in again if they were not bred.  I'll be out there if my tag isn't punched...

Good deal, at this point it's just a logistical issue to get back out there....but I'm trying to work it out. As my buddy says, I can't kill one at home!

The latest I've shot one in our archery is Sept. 29th. It was a satellite and he and the herd bull were bugling like crazy.

Like others have said I've heard fired up bulls well into October.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back