what about those reed cow calls?

Boom

Aug 6, 2017
i want to try lots.

i admit, i suck with a diaphram, but i commited to practice.  i have an oceanside project, so i will have a long commute and i can practice at the ocean..the whales wont care what i sound like.

I have 3 favorites. My cow calling sucks with a mouth reed too. Carlton's Fightin Cow & Long Ranger, and the Temptress. I don't care for the 2nd gen Temptress but love the original. I use the Long Ranger both with and without my bugle tube. It works like no other external Reed I've used and is my go to cow call ;)

These are the easiest and best ones I have found. I bought a few.
https://www.flexmarkelkcall.com/

This may just be me but being everyone is different it kind of depends on what calls you are able to produce the best on.  If you can?t work the call and it affects maybe your confidence come crunch time you may not seal the deal. 

Most of the diaphragm calls I use I end up trimming on the sides slightly and it fits better for me.

I like all of the Rocky Mountain calls and Phelps calls.  This last year my brother and I rocked the contender and I got into a scenario with a bull on a hot cow and was able to run the range of different calls. 

87TT said:
These are the easiest and best ones I have found. I bought a few.
https://www.flexmarkelkcall.com/

i would LOVE to put some of my friends on the task of building that man a better website.  wow..that is awful.

but the call is interesting.  it is NOT a diaphram from what i can tell.  so you blow on it like those kid noise makers we annoyed our parents with?

trophyhill said:
I have 3 favorites. My cow calling sucks with a mouth reed too. Carlton's Fightin Cow & Long Ranger, and the Temptress. I don't care for the 2nd gen Temptress but love the original. I use the Long Ranger both with and without my bugle tube. It works like no other external Reed I've used and is my go to cow call ;)

thanks for reminding me.  i have a few!!  i am getting pretty good at the smaller one.  just need to figure out a DIY leash/lanyard so i dont lose it. 99% sure it will involve duct tape.

You bite on it and blow. Way more consistent and easy. Give the guy credit. He is a small time business. They really work though.

87TT said:
You bite on it and blow. Way more consistent and easy. Give the guy credit. He is a small time business. They really work though.

oh, i am ordering some for sure!!

They look interesting and the instructions on how to use them are interesting. Purely out of curiosity I may grab one.  I don?t like changing what works for me now necessarily but always into checking out new things.

That being said, for anyone who has used them, judging by the pictures, is there a fair portion of the plastic side of the call hanging out of your mouth? Just the black rubber is what you bite on?  I didn?t see a video of how to use the call on his website.

Most of the plastic is outside your mouth. The "reed" is a rubber band stretched inside. You can vary the pitch by biting harder. They are on a key ring so you can hang them on a lanyard or a retractable zinger.

87TT said:
Most of the plastic is outside your mouth. The "reed" is a rubber band stretched inside. You can vary the pitch by biting harder. They are on a key ring so you can hang them on a lanyard or a retractable zinger.

well.  i would piss on a sparkplug if someone told me it would help me call in an elk. :D
i ordered several..thanks for the recommendation.

the website..i do admit, his payment system was super easy.!!

his website would go a long way if he would just offer up a close up image of his calls. :)

Clayman56 said:
I always use a hoochie mama but I think I will be giving these a try as well

Do you hunt in Oregon ? LOL seems like everyone has one and must have them duct taped to the bottom of their boot.  :lol:

my first elk.  i let out a call with my diaphram.  everyone turned around and looked at me oddly.  some friend pulled out his hoochieMAMA and handed it to me saying, "here use this instead"

i took that as a compliment.  my diaphram work was TOO GOOD and wouldnt give the elk a chance.  in the spirit of challenge, i used the hoochiemama.

that bubblecall dragged my elk in on a string.  i was blown away.

Did you end up ordering some Boom?  Would you maybe post some pictures closer up of the call. The website photos only had a couple photos

:help2:
Kdkehoe said:
Did you end up ordering some Boom?  Would you maybe post some pictures closer up of the call. The website photos only had a couple photos

I did. It?s so easy!!
I didn?t even read the instructions.
You bite down and blow. Releasing the bite changes the tone and makes that ?mew? sound.
Here:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back