What are these?

atfrith

May 16, 2014
Went on my first scouting trip of the season and saw these marks on a tree. Hmm, bear? They looked like deep nail marks, but weren\'t in the shape of a paw ya know. The highest were probably a good 7-8 feet up the tree [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->Image1465689086.848236.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
1ab3dcb9f2719e51a840ae0bab35d562.jpg

f7a7b739bb112e03d1569dfa018746f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Image1465689086.848236.jpg
    Image1465689086.848236.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 234
Haha, well I feel dumb. I\'ve never seen anything like it. Haha. Woodpecker it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could it be a bear marking his territory ? Hard to actually tell from the pictures.

It looks like \"barking\" to me, elk or moose eating the aspen bark in the winter when other forage is not available.

\"Stoneman\" said:
It looks like \"barking\" to me, elk or moose eating the aspen bark in the winter when other forage is not available.

I thought it looked like smaller tooth marks. Maybe squirrels too. Did a little searching and it seems that the Porcupine works on the tree around a limb that he can rest on. I believe it might be elk and deer.

Stoneman may be right. Here is a link to some info.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5353715.pdf\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 353715.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Not that they don\'t, but I have never seen a porcupine eating aspen bark, I think they prefer pine trees. If there are moose in the area the chew marks will be higher and more destructive, otherwise elk.

I am thinking elk or moose also. I think the inner bark drying out cracks when it dries making it look like claw marks.

Sure looks like Bear claws marking his territory...........

Probably a big 600 pound Boar that is marking the whole area to let Dan know to stay out!!!

\"Don K\" said:
Sure looks like Bear claws marking his territory...........

Probably a big 600 pound Boar that is marking the whole area to let Dan know to stay out!!!

I think Dan has a bear tag for this fall :mg: :mg: :mg:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back