What are your plans for the off season?

Bullnuts

Mar 6, 2014
I\'m hoping to participate in a lot more 3D shoots this year. I missed the entire 3D season last summer due to work and the kids\' sports schedule, so I\'ve got to try and figure out a way to make it happen this time. I firmly believe it\'s the best type of practice you can get. I also need to work on getting myself back into shape. Last season was my worst for the same reasons that I missed the 3D season and like a Maurice Clarett, I showed up to camp overweight and out of shape. I didn\'t, however, go out and rob anyone like Maurice did....ok, bad example.

Anyway, it starts today. I have a day off and I\'m going to be getting the bows out and dusting them off, waxing some strings, and firing a few arrows. It\'ll feel good to stretch a string again!

Indoor 3d\'s. The weather finally broke yesterday and hit 40 dg...jumped on my Mt bike and rode about 15 miles

Trying to maintain a baseline physical conditioning level. Hitting the gym two or three times a week, running 3 miles and doing some core stuff.

Once the trails dry out, I\'ll start going for walks with the pack. I\'ll start with 35# then work up to 60# by the end of June. Plus I\'ll probably start hitting the trails with the bike around the same time frame.

And I\'ll dust off the Z7 here in about a month. Maybe try a couple 3D shoots also, depending on the schedule.

Ah, spring.

I\'ll keep in shape with P90x3 ... but I will likely add some running this year, too.

Shooting ... I want to make a home range this year. I just got a new string on the Z7 here, so I\'ll need to put a few hundred through that to break it in.

Reloading ... can\'t find RL-19 anywhere, so I\'ll be working up a new load with H4350 ... I\'m make some rounds to day, in fact.

Horses ... we\'ll do some limited endurance riding this year ... and a pack trip in July, just my wife and me. It\'ll be a good shake-down for new gear and camping equipment ... and we\'ll see some new country.

Scouting ... I\'m going to try to find a spot close to my elk area that is accessible for day hunts from the road ... for weekend trips ... and put up a stand, or make a ground blind.

My son brought some CD\'s over last night called \'10 minute trainer\'. I guess I\'ll be starting that. Has anyone used it? Shooting 3d, putting up more stands, bowhunting turkeys, and dreaming of Sept. will take up most of my time.

hoping to go on a turkey hunt this spring. after that I plan on shooting my bow a lot, an working a lot of hours so come sept I wont be working at all. also gonna try to learn more about mulies so I can check that off my list this fall

A lot of boating, camping and I\'m sure there is some beer drinking in there somewhere. Some 3d shoots mixed in.

Had total knee replacement on 3 January so obviously getting in shape is a huge priority. I\'m doing good though I\'m up to 5 miles with 30 lb pack of course that\'s southeast Missouri hills. Second priority is saving enough money to be able to to out west and equally important learn everything I can about elk and how to hunt them. Lastly finding an OTC state and unit. Several folks here have already been kind enough to share some info with me pertaining to that.

Back