what arrow are you shooting?

IrkedCitizen said:
I am shooting Easton A/C/C Pro Hunting shafts.  Why?  They are a great arrow and it didn't hurt that I got a great price on them.  I also wasn't impressed with FMJ's and will never shoot them again. 

I have also recently shot Gold Tip Kinetic shafts.  I liked them and probably would have bought another dozen had I not picked up my A/C/C's.
I was ready to go get FMJ's until I read your post.  What didnt you like about them?

Elk2 said:
IrkedCitizen said:
I am shooting Easton A/C/C Pro Hunting shafts.  Why?  They are a great arrow and it didn't hurt that I got a great price on them.  I also wasn't impressed with FMJ's and will never shoot them again. 

I have also recently shot Gold Tip Kinetic shafts.  I liked them and probably would have bought another dozen had I not picked up my A/C/C's.
I was talked in to get FMJ's until I read your post.  What didnt you like about them?

With the aluminum being on the outside of the carbon they tend to bend from just regular shooting. While practicing I had one break 8" from the front of the arrow in a 3/4 circle around the outside of the shaft.  I shot a nice mule deer buck with one and the ferrule on the broadhead I was using broke at the threads.  This resulted in the tip of the shaft breakingin half down to the insert (see picture).  I found the broadhead in a giant pool of blood and later found my arrow.  I did not recover the buck.  I chalked that up to being a garbage broadhead and bought some NAP hellrazors.  That shot is what turned me off using mechanical broadheads as well.

The final straw so to speak was after I shot my doe.  I got a complete pass-through at 40 yards.  Great!  The arrow came out with a giant S-bend.  However, that was not the problem though.  My broadhead was completely missing and the insert was gone as well.  The shop I bought them from cut the arrows to length and installed the inserts.  Losing inserts is no good but then again it could have been a bad glue job.

A/C/C's are an aluminum and carbon hybrid but with the carbon on the outside they do not hold a bend as bad.  More elastic/resilient/durable.  They are also lighter 10.4gpi versus 12.0gpi for the .300 spine. 

Attachments

• Epek and FMJ 004.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the info Irked. You have enough bad experience with them that I don't even want to experiment with them. I am going to try the Easton's.

Man I always thought the fmj's were indestructible.  The only thing I've found that could damage an fmj was another fmj.  They will dent easily from another arrow but on multiple occasions i shot one of those halfway through a fence.  Had the cut a section out of the fence and whittle the arrow out.  Still perfectly straight and grouped right there with the rest of them. 

I currently shoot the acc and was thinking I was going to go back the the fmj but now I'm not sure.  I have had an acc go through the target and into the ground.  when I flex tested it I heard cracking so I went ahead and broke it.  It didn't take much but it was already damaged i guess.

Easton FMJ, was shooting Nfused before that. love them both. Had to move to the FMJ because I started shooting a faster bow with more poundage. They hit really hard!!!

Spent a lot of time last year "building" an arrow for my bow. Came out with a GoldTip XT7595 with a 50gr brass insert weight finished with 3" fusions. Finished weight of 438grains and 14.5% FOC.

Easton Axis 400 at 28” with a 3 blade Rage (for whitetail) 420 grains plus they are made in the USA

I shoot the Cabelas Stalker Extreme or the carbon hunters. I shoot these mainly because of price. I can get a dozen of them for $60. I shoot 3d and hunt with them. I am no pro but they shoot where I want them to and kill animals!! They are pretty tough too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back