What boots for late sept early oct elk hunt in NM?

slayer831

Jun 21, 2017
Hey all im new here, i live in central ohio and this fall i am going to be going on my first elk hunt. A close friend of mine purchased a large ranch near Pie Town NM and he is going to give me a good deal on a hunt so ill probably be going every year for elk and mule deer. I thought i had everything figured out about what gear i wanted and ive already ordered a pair of boots but i just went and looked at the email and i realized they are insulated and i was trying to get a pair of uninsulated boots. the boots i ordered are Meindl Perfekt Hunters and they are 400 gram. Are these boots going to be way to warm for me out there or should they be ok? if not what boots should i order when i send these ones back?

I have UA ridge reaper elevation that work great. They are on sale for $190 since they are discontinued and get $40 off of using the code from MyFitnessPal app when ordering through UA. So can't beat that. Not as "stiff" a boot though (compared to meindl denali and similar) and no break in time needed. It has enough support for me. Only 75 miles on them and a couple with 150 lb pack. Tough to buy boots without trying them on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those boots should be perfectly fine, what date rang and altitude will you be hunting?

A good friend guides from late August through November for the better part of a decade running the perfekt hunters. Great boots for the money. He did say they got a little warm past 75 degrees but not unbearable. They were great down to teens.... all around fantastic boot

I wore a pair of Kenetrek Mountain boots, 400 gram, to Alaska last month. It was in the upper 60s during the day. At no time did I think they were too warm. Think you'll be fine. Break'em in before you hit the mountains.

Awesome thanks guys!! I'm not even sure what altitude I will be but I will be going there the end of September or early October.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Do you guys usually go with a half size bigger than your shoes when buying boots? thats what i did and they feel kinda loose now that i got them and im wandering if it will give me blisters when im hiking in NM. Other than that they are extremely comfortable boots.

Personally I do not. I wear thicker sock when trying out boots and keep them snug. Boots break in and eventually form, if they feel big now and you have them laced tight, you might have issues.

Otherwise, I hear of having a little room because your circulating a lot of blood flow when hiking and your feet can swell and expand. Although, I think a simple lace adjustment would fix that problem. 

NO WAY!

If anything I go down in size vs. up. If you're boot isn't completely snug it will move against your foot, which will create hot spots, which turn into blisters which means no fun....

I like a snug boot and prefer a cushy sock.

I definitely don't go too tight with my boots. I wear the socks I will be hunting in when I try on boots so there are no surprises later. I also wear two pairs of socks to keep me from getting blisters. I used to do that when playing basketball and I do it now when I am at work. Seems to help but definitely no substitute for worn in boots.

There are few things I hate more than jamming my toes into the front of tight boots when walking downhill.

Ok so it sounds like I should probably send these back and get my size. they seem really warm to so I may try a different boot. Are there any other meindl boots you guys would recommend that are not insulated? I love this boot but I think it may be to warm for me, my feet are always hot.

I have a C width foot and ordered the Kenetreks in a B width. Don't lace the boots the way you learned in school, use a heel lock lace. You can look up how to lace hiking boots on YouTube. You don't want the boots to move on your foot. That will cause hot spots then blisters.

My Meindl perfkt hikers started leaking after a year. Now I run lowa tibets for the time frame that you are hunting with no complaints. 3 years so far. Earlier season I like my soloman 4ds. Both uninsulated becaus I got hot feet. I haven't had luck with getting a good fit on any kennetrek as my foot is super narrow. Tibets and 4ds are comfy, waterproof, and durable with no break in time. Just my experience. Good luck!

slayer831 said:
Ok so it sounds like I should probably send these back and get my size. they seem really warm to so I may try a different boot. Are there any other meindl boots you guys would recommend that are not insulated? I love this boot but I think it may be to warm for me, my feet are always hot.

Their best boot imo is their Alaskan hunter... which I think is a Cabelas exclusive. I'd try that if you aren't 100% sold on the perfekts

I love my stiff Lowa's - work great in the soft Alaskan tundra and in the really hard ground you'll find in NM. Break in your boots and always wear a lightweight synthetic liner sock and a cushioning sock as an outer layer - even in hot weather this will keep your chance of getting blisters low. Make sure you take Moleskin and duct tape (to cover the Moleskin) if you ever start to feel a blister coming on. The worst thing you can do in that heat is to ignore a sore spot and develop a blister and have it rupture. Good luck!

Well,I'm in Pie Town,NM area and I am using Lowa Tibet GTX now for the last 2 yrs.
My old Meindel Ibex were stiff & leaked after 15 yrs.
I was looking to get Kenetreks as I wear their pac-boots & like them.
Found the Lowas half price & that was that.I have had 3 pairs of Lowas before for hiking & climbing boots.
I got half size larger for thick winter socks if needed & wear a liner & mid weight merino socks year round. I have worn them in summer and not overheated my feet anymore than any of my other boots I wear.  They felt like they were made for my feet the 1st day.
Know many hunters who come to NM & wear Kenetreks & other quality mountain boots with 200-400 insulation too.
Knowing how to lace boots properly & clean dry socks will save your feet as much as the right size. I would hesitate to by any shoe a half size small,never had luck with that theory.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back