What calls?

Reedjj

Dec 30, 2012
What calls do you take? Last year was my first year to take any. Primos are not going again. I need to look into other options, I have heard great things about elk101 calls, which ones do you use? Are their good resources like audio clips you use to practice while traveling?

You should play around with any call you can get your hands on. What works for one person, may not work for someone else. Elk101 does have great calls. Just find what works for you.

I take a lot of calls with me because you never know what is going to work for you or not.  Usually its the primos hoochie momma and Imaka da bullcrazy along with a bunch of diaphragm calls and a bugle.

Really learn to use the diaphragm call because you can do anything with them, some will sound a little different then others so it's good to have some variety :) Most bugles will work but the diaphragm is what makes the difference!

Rocky Mountain aka Bugling Bull Game calls makes some great elk calls. Only mouth reeds that I use. Their open reed are good too, but my favorite open reed is made by Phelps game calls. Great sound and you can make it loud if you want to see whats way out there.

I take several as many have mentioned. I prefer the diaphragm calls and have three different ones with me. I also have the Primos bugle tube with a replacement blue reed if needed. Many times I will just use the tube and diaphragm to call when close because it is easier to control the sounds I make including chuckles. I also have two cow calls. The Hoochie Mama and a Carlton call that really reaches out to them but you have to learn the hard way sometimes. You do not want to use the Carlton up close unless it was just the particular bull that did not like it.

I used three calls exclusively last year. A Mellow Yellow diaphragm for all my cow/calf/small bull sounds. A Mini Master diaphragm for all my bugling w/ Bully Bull grunt tube. My absolute favorite and go to call was my Phelps Custom reed. I pack a number of calls in my pack but these three never seem to let me down.

Don't let the vendors dictate what you use.  Find the ones that you can use and work for you.  Some people can use every call and make them sound great.  The truth is that some of the worse callers are elk themselves.  So don't worry about how it sounds but if you are satisfied in your own way with it.

I happen to like the promos calls. Hootchie Mama, Imaka da bull crazy, and super pack bugle. But they are all I've ever owned. I might try a few mentioned here. Thanks

I take quite a few diaphragm call with me on the hunt as they can get lost or damaged during the hunt. Plus they will have different tones and you never know what will work in elk country :) I also have multiple bugles in camp and might change them up each day until elk start responding to one.

I have 6 different diaphragm calls all by bugling bull game calls. I use these b them selves and with the bully bull grunt tube, in my opinion the best bugle on the market hands down. The first year I used the grunt tube my dad couldn't tell the difference between me and the herd bull that we were working. I also have the temptress and whos yrr daddy by bugling bull game calls, but I also have the hyper hot cow call, the cowgirl by primos this is a very realistic call, fightin cow call and lonesome cow call by Carlton's, and the sleazy cow call by berry game calls. I use all of them through out the season as it really depends on what they will answer to and sometimes it really surprises me. I have a big bag of tricks and I don't hesitate to pull out all the stops to get a bull to come in.

I always have 2 mellow yellows, 2 raging bulls, bully bull tube, temptress, carlton fightin' cow, and now I will also be toting a beautiful custom open reed made by Tony Jones of Bitterroot Custom Calls. By default, the raging bull is the one that's in my mouth 90% of the time, and I interchange all of my open reeds depending on the day. It blows me away how I can blow 1 open reed and get nothing, then without moving blow the other one and it lights them up.

I use a leather goose call lanyard and it has all types from a nasty old lead cow to little calf hoochie.  Several estrus & a verity of others.  Multiple mouth calls as well.  Elk love to be social and I am Mr. Party

I don't like to be caught unprepared,so i carry several reeds,primos hyper lip single,cow girl,even the original cow talk,i also have imakda bull crazy,mossback cow calls,Glen Berry.If i find one isn't getting bit,then i'll switch it up.My go to tube is a bully bull,but also have primos tubes in several sizes,mossback,power bugle.Just like a tackle box full of lures,never know what they want,so i have all bases covered.Course i don't carry all at once.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back