What do i need in my day pack?

birddog

Jan 20, 2013
im wondering whay you think i need in my day pack for my first elk hunt this fall. i will be hunting around 11000' and base camp will be around two miles away and at 9500'. i dont want to take lots of extra junk along so im asking all of you for your expert opinions. also i will be carrying the badlands 2800 for my day pack. ok all fire away.

You will have lots of room in the 2800 to pack what you must.

Here is what I carry at all times.

-GPS
-Havalon Piranta knife with extra blades
-Small First Aid Kit
- Survival Kit
-Rain Gear
-Water
-Food
-Game Bag
-Emergency blanket to lay on the ground and put my quarters on it so they stay clean as I work on the rest of the animal.

I just picked up a roll of 2000' of 550 cord. I know I don't need that that much but the price was right free!!!

birddog said:
What is in your survival kit?

30' of paracord
Vaseline soaked cotton balls
Lighter
Firesteel
10' of fluorescent tape
Whistle
2 Space Blanket
2 Protein bars

I'd add your tag into the conversation here too... hahahaha.  I figure if I make it into the woods with my tag and a knife all is not lost.

Sounds good so far I have most of that already I still need to get my havalon knife yet

I break my daypack (prefer 1200-1500 ci) into 3 sections: hunt, harvest, and essentials. I never carry more than 10 pounds, and that includes water and the pack. Hiking hard all day takes a toll after a week, and an extra 6-8 pounds makes a big difference. Here is my list:

Hunt - calls, wind checker, rangefinder, scent spray, license/tag
Harvest - game bags, knives, flagging ribbon, cameras, parachute cord
Essentials - water, flashlights, batteries, food, first aid kit, lighter, matches, toilet paper

Thanks for the info guys it's great to hear everybodys im put. It's great to have all of this experience and knowledge passed down to a first time elk hunter.

All great things mentioned above.  I include some superglue in there too.  Never know when you might need to do some field repairs or when you might need it to seal up a cut.  Superglue works great in the place of stitches, just make sure the wound is clean before sealing up.

I never go out with out 2 flashlights .this has got me before.sucks crawling out on your hands and knees cause you cant see the tip of your nose cause its so dark.lots of cliffs where im at. and meat bags if its hot.

This is what I carry:
Water bottle, Hydration bladder with water, lunch, knife, game bags, 20' paracord, headlamp, flashlight, rain jacket, gloves, TP, wipes, firestarter kit, small first aid kit, GPS
Compass on the belt.

Extra batteries for your flashlights,matches,and a space blanket. Did I mention matches?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back