What do you carry for a day hunt?

Willdorf

Jul 30, 2018
I was curious what everyone packs in their day pack for hunting from a base camp and going out for the day? I went on an archery elk hunt last year and packed way to much stuff everyday because I wasn't sure what I would actually need or use, so for our rifle hunt this year I want to cut back on what I bring out with me. I have a general idea what I am going to bring. Just looking for other ideas and to compare loads. It will be first rifle season in Colorado

Here's a video of what's in Corey's pack: https://youtu.be/BAyUmB-iA00

My pack is similar. I carry a few more emergency-type items like a space blanket, matches, compass, and whistle. Also make sure you have something to attach your tag to an animal with in Colorado. Tie wire or a zip tie work great for that.

The essentials: TP, Flashlight, GPS, food and water (1 liter plus a MSR filter/pump - depending on water source availability), small first aid and fire making kits.
Hunting needs: License, Hunter Safety, necessary permits (Wyoming conservation stamps/HMA access permit etc...), windchecker, rangefinder, spare ammo, Sharpie (if necessary to sign license after harvest), small roll of electrical tape (attach carcass tag). 
Kill Kit: Havalon with extra blades, trusty old Buck knife on my hip, flagging ribbon, game bags, paracord (about 50'), phone (aka camera), baby wipes, one large garbage bag (to line my pack to carry out a quarter).

Depending on the weather, a rain poncho and a lightweight NOAA weather radio (power switch taped to the "Off" position).  I don't carry trekking poles.  Maybe I haven't found the right ones, but I just don't seem to be able to use them efficiently. 

Trekking poles is something I have been kicking around. That's one thing I don't have but from reading and doing some research seems to be pretty helpful when bringing out the meat.  But I am in a similar boat Wyo, I have tried a few different types from people I know who backpack and use them and can't quite seem to feel comfortable when using them. My plan for my pack is actually quite similar to yours, just that I am using a 3L camel back instead of 1L.

Non alcohol biodegradable wipes, poncho, carnivore bags with Havalon knife in pouch, paracord. Head beanie and neck gator with extra shirt or packable light weight goose-down jacket. I wear a camo hat that I switch with the beanie depending on temps. Camel Bac water pouch. Mora carbon knife. Protein bars and snicker bars. GPS and head lamp with extra batteries. Small folding hand saw.......
The saw I can cut a pole to hang meat or cut down aspen for walking sticks on the pack out.

Bow season/rifle- 3L water, 3 chem lights, 10 leukotape 2? strips, 10ft 550 cord, 5ft ribbon, roll of electric tape, 2 lighters, 5 fire starters,  tenacious tape, 6 latex gloves, 15 Tylenol, 2 large bandaids, 1 Israeli bandage, 1 tourniquet, wad of toilet paper, 2 headlamps, extra batteries, 1 gerber vital, 1 swingblaze, set trekking poles, 2 diaphragms, 1 wind checker, range finder, 1 pack hand warmers, game bags, food

Bow only- extra release, bugle tube, Allen key set, carbo mask, .44 mag & speed loader

Rifle only- 3 extra rounds, iso stove, coffee, gsi mug, spoon, mtn house/ ramen, extra layers, bod pod bipod- small

All of this inside my bino harness and kifaru apollo

My daypack has a water bladder, personal locator beacon, BO synthetic game bags, paracord, scalpel knife, heavier knife for joints, zip ties for tags, lighter, rain jacket, first aid (Ibuprofen, Immodium AD, band aids, big packs of gauze, vet wrap, sanitizer gel), TP, small power brick to recharge phone which is all I use for GPS maps now, Black Diamond headlamp with spare batteries, and snacks/lunch.

The older I?ve gotten I have included more gear in a day pack- more first ai and survival gear to make it overnight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back