What do you do when it's pouring?

usmcvet

Jul 8, 2013
Just curious what you typically do when you wake up to a down pour? Do you sit tight & hope it will let up, or head out & hope for the best? What are you takes on how it affects the elk?

depends if its a storm i sit tight hunker down if its raining i hunt they live in it so ill hunt in it

A front type storm or T-storm?
T storms I wait out and go when lightning lets up. Heck it could be blowing dust in an hour here in NM.
Front type ,I'm out for long haul.

I hadn't hunted much in rain until last year.
We got stuck in a down pour. Right after it let up the elk went crazy, they were bugling and running around all over the place.
I'm not gonna miss out on that action! 8)

I hunt rain or shine. I have to drive half way across the country to hunt elk, so I'm hunting! I've purchased higher end rain gear just for that reason. I use the rain to my advantage and like to go slowly stalking through theedge of their bedding areas, keeping the wind in my favor. I have yet to second guess getting out of the tent, pouring rain or not. Good luck and shoot straight!

thunderstorms and hail - i wait it out. 

steady rain showers - throw on the rain gear and hunt.

If it's lightning I wait it out( lightning scares the crap out of me) anything else put on the rain gear and hunt. Word of advise buy the best rain gear you can afford it really does make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is a storm I hit the tall timber drainage, etc... I am pretty convince elk don't want to be hammered by hail, or rain, and if they feel safe they will wait there... I have found usually the day or two after a really good rain is when they are the hottest...

Glass from the shelter, set up a tarp at my glassing point, or simply hunt thru the rain depending on the severity.

I don't like to hunt in the rain and diffinetely not a thunderstorm and hail...having said that I have twice been hunting and a storm moved in when the thunder seemed to excite elk and they started moving and bugling. Not sure that is a normal thing but I have seen it happen. Most predictions are increased game activity before and after a storm front moves in and out...?

I will always hunt in the rain, as long as it is not a non-stop heavy downpour.  Two of my best shot opportunities at mature bulls the past couple years occurred during a rainy day.  The extra noise from the pitter-pat of sound on leaves/branches and the quiet walking allowed me to stalk pretty nicely, and remain undetected.

I do pay particular attention to my scent and wind when it's raining though.  Think of how your dog smells when they're dry, and how they smell when they're wet...they go from tolerable to horrible...I think the same occurs with humans.

Right on both points. Rain gives you sound cover advantage.
Ungulates can smell you better in wet air. That's why they lick their noses,to wet and smell better.
The good news is rain can take your scent right to the ground,out of the wind.
I like hunting in the rain/snow.
But will not go out in lightning if I can help it. Been almost hit twice and seen too many dead trees and critters. I'll hole up then.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back