What do you think?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
af4c333315e1c5916aa2a9b1e76eeea9.jpg

I found this on the side of a steep ridge. It?s about 1/3 of the way down, tucked between two benches that were heavy with bedding, and approximately 1/2 mile away from water.  Plenty of cover, not easy to get to.... what do you think?

Does something like this interest you?

Personally this got me super excited.  Once NM get some more rain I think this will turn into a mucky and muddy wonderland.  The fact it?ll be tucked in a hard to get to spot, under a canopy, and between heavy bedding.... I think something like this could have activity all day! Especially during my early season bow season. 

Thoughts? I did put a camera on it and can?t wait to see the results in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised you didn't pull out your portable military shovel and make it deeper !

Looks like the definition of a honey hole. Send me the coords and I?ll be glad to check it out on GE. Won?t tell another soul.

I bet they have mud wrestling competitions in this location once the rain comes! I know I would be checking in on this site come hunting season

Oh I can?t wait for you to pop the card and check it out. That is awesome and a great find!

DTP said:
af4c333315e1c5916aa2a9b1e76eeea9.jpg

I found this on the side of a steep ridge. It?s about 1/3 of the way down, tucked between two benches that were heavy with bedding, and approximately 1/2 mile away from water.  Plenty of cover, not easy to get to.... what do you think?

Personally this got me super excited.  Once NM get some more rain I think this will turn into a mucky and muddy wonderland.  The fact it?ll be tucked in a hard to get to spot, under a canopy, and between heavy bedding.... I think something like this could have activity all day! Especially during my early season bow season. 

Thoughts? I did put a camera on it and can?t wait to see the results in September.

After looking at this further what was the direction of this wallow?  On a southern slope? Northern? I?ve checked some wallows and swampy ponds areas that are on various benches. One spot I sat on for an entire weekend and the only thing to come in was myself. It?s like it wasn?t frequented or used any longer.  Does anyone else have a similar experience?  Same for my brother. Caught camera pictures of useage and then the first week of September POOF!!  Gone like the wind.  I?m sure that are variables but I guess a more direct question would be-

Within the scope of an active wallow, where water around the area isn?t scarce, why would the wallow be less frequented or abandoned?  Even when elk are in the area?

Kdkehoe said:
DTP said:

After looking at this further what was the direction of this wallow?  On a southern slope? Northern? I?ve checked some wallows and swampy ponds areas that are on various benches. One spot I sat on for an entire weekend and the only thing to come in was myself. It?s like it wasn?t frequented or used any longer.  Does anyone else have a similar experience?  Same for my brother. Caught camera pictures of useage and then the first week of September POOF!!  Gone like the wind.  I?m sure that are variables but I guess a more direct question would be-

Within the scope of an active wallow, where water around the area isn?t scarce, why would the wallow be less frequented or abandoned?  Even when elk are in the area?

I guess it depends. If you know elk are in the area, they should return to the water unless they are using another water source. But bigger picture, you can get pictures of bulls all summer long and then they disappear at the beginning of September because they leave to find the cows. I've had the same thing happen. Find the cows on game cam in July and August and you'll find bulls there come September.

I figured that was the case. Ghosts of the woods.  We found cows repeatedly during June July and August. Mid September sure as sure can be BAM bulls. Which was odd because I think th cows hung out low due to fires in their areas and the bulls caught right up to them!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back