What does an elk look like on GE?

americanbwana

Sep 3, 2017
What does an elk look like on GE?

Take a look.

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->ElkSmelk.PNG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Photo was taken 9/23/2011 in an area that gets blasted by hunters early in the season.

Flash Earth, and ArcGis do not have this \'anomaly\'.

I\'m guessing it was mid afternoon based on the shadows.

Attachments

• ElkSmelk.PNG
    780.5 KB · Views: 223
They look like a small tan elongated dot. Often it is hard to tell if it is just one, but several can be easier to identify. Also by changing years you can make the dot disappear so you can determine it is in fact an elk, or at least a big tan animal. I have found a few and my son has spotted a lot of them. Some judgment is needed, as it can be difficult to be positive.

What drives me nuts about GE is that I have seen where the dates are not even close to correct, i.e. snow on the ground in July and no snow on the ground in January. Some of the dates for areas appear to be correct, but I always find myself second guessing the dates they give. Either way, that is pretty cool Dana. I\'ve never seen elk on GE before in my own searching...maybe I need to find a new area to hunt :think: Hahaha!

I actually think these dates are pretty accurate as most of the trail heads had LOT\'s of vehicles parked there.

No snow on the ground (Only on the very highest ridges, more like a permanent snow field), and the aspens are starting to lighten up.

I\'ve looked at this area before. It is a semi-road less (non-wilderness) area, about 1.5 miles from the nearest trail head. There is one road, closed to motorized vehicles. This gives me a route to drag my game cart in to help with critter extraction.

I\'ve seen elk up there every time I\'ve scouted. The only reason I stopped hunting there was the pressure. However, now that I\'m willing to pack in up to two miles, it will probably be where I head this fall.

The attached snippet is pretty grainy, but I think you can see the body and head.

Attachments

• Elk3D.PNG
    189.3 KB · Views: 208
Ok, so there are actually two.

It really pays to pan and tilt GE. I didn\'t see the second one from above but it \'popped\' out a zoomed back out.

It\'s 1.4 miles as the crow flies from the nearest two trail heads.

Attachments

• Elk23D.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 207
I\'ve looked all over on \"my\" spot to find one ... haven\'t yet. I think those are elk. Cool find.

It\'s odd how finding game -- while driving, or out the window of the house, or while camping -- immediately triggers something in the brain. Even finding an elk on Google Earth.

It\'s like a cat and a laser-pointer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back