What drives you?

ghost

Dec 28, 2012
Curious as to what drives everyone else during the off season. How do you push harder or train harder than the year before? Do you do the same year after year with the same results?

In my case, I made a promise to myself to be better than the previous year. What drives me? Success, failures and mistakes. Mostly failures and mistakes. I wear a parachute cord wrist band from Survival Strap. Never take it off. It represents those failures, those mistakes. When I feel like I can't lift any more or run or bike any further, I will look at the strap on my wrist and I think about those failures and mistakes. It makes me push just a little further and harder than I would have. There are days when I could find every excuse out there to not workout or to eat something I shouldn't. But its harder to cheat on yourself when it's right there on my wrist every second of every day. Next year, after the season is done with, the strap will represent some new challenges. It may be a little corny, but hey, it works great for me.

I quit trying to explain to people what it meant to me when they asked me about the wrist strap. Now I just say "you wouldn't understand" and smile, knowing that this year I'm better than last.

I've always been able to go when I need to....but two years ago I hit a wall during rifle season.  On the last day of the season I jumped elk and couldn't keep going.  I knew where they were going and knew how to get there easily, but just couldn't physically get there, I started cramping and sucking wind so bad I couldn't forgive myself.  This last year I worked out and made myselft a promise I wasn't gonna quit until I killed a bull.  I kept that promise and tagged a bull during bow season.  After packing out the bull and not even being sore I will forever make sure I am ready to go!

ghost said:
Curious as to what drives everyone else during the off season. How do you push harder or train harder than the year before? Do you do the same year after year with the same results?

Taking my first archery elk (bull) in 2012, and having the two prior seasons before that ending in tag soup. I've really come to understand that failure can motivate you to try new tactics. Spending more time in the gym, shooting and weekend scouting trips have become the "norm," and I'll continue to this process over and over again!

The motivation is to feed my family. I like killing bulls, but if a cow walks infront of me I'm probably going to take her out. Just not dying while I'm hiking movivates me. I hate when I can see the elk but they are along ways from me and I don't want to go after them cause I'm tired. I like seeing them and thinking that no matter where they are I'm going to go after them.

My age is what pushes me, when your young it is easy. but I am 60 years old now, so I need to work out on a regular basis, I use a treadmill and Elliptical the most, I try to use one or the other every other day, and when the weather allows I work in some bike rides to. If I have my way ?. I will still be hunting Elk in my 70s.

Kevin

Goals.  Before each season, I set a personal goal.  I work towards it and when achieved, I experience a tremendous amount of satisfaction.

For me it is the sense of adventure, and pursuing elk in the mountains. The fitness part has been to be in better shape than just survive, and that physical limitations wont be the limiting factor.
I found this year, it is also to help those who either aren't or can't be in top shape. Hunting with 2 older gentlemen this year I had the privilege of being able to pack out an elk for a 70 year old die hard elk hunter who shot his first elk was worth any inconvenience I may have encountered.

This year it will be getting in better shape, I'm 53 and my dad is 74 so when we get an elk my dad can't do a lot about carrying quarters and such so I need to get in better shape. Also, my biggest driver is getting an elk with a bow for my dad before he can't go along anymore.

Hunting with younger guys, they just keep me moving and doing things I wouldn't do on my own. 

the Elk motivate me every day they live in the weather cold, hot, snowy, flat land or steep country. Every day they get stronger thats what drives me. :)

Passing all I know onto my son so he can experience the same things I have is what drives me. I prepare myself in every way I can so he can have successful hunts.

I like to watch videos and read elk101.  that can get old too tho.  I try to relive last year and be honest about how much pain I was in climbing to that bench or wallow.  That gets my butt in gear.  I still have a long way to go tho.  also getting a partner involved is great.  You dont want to be the weakest link in elk woods.

What drives me?  I got off to a late start with hunting.  My dad hunted every year, but as a girl in my family, my involvement was limited to packing the food for the trip.  Now that I've become a hunter, I want to make sure I'll be able to hunt for the rest of my life.  I strive to learn more, increase my strength and improve my health each season.  I am rewarded every time I have earth beneath my feet, as there is always something wondrous to behold.  I work hard in order to enjoy the privilege of going further and seeing more. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back