What food for backcountry backpack trips?

Reedjj

Dec 30, 2012
I have heard the stats, nothing 200 caloris per ounce. I have a pretty good list right now but always looking for new ideas. This last year I took torillas and flavored tuna pouches with relish and mayo packets from fast food joints. PB, honey and bacon torillas. Mountain house for dinner, flavored oatmeal packets for breakfast, honey stinger chews, etc.
So what do you take that is a good calorie versus weight balance?

boil in bag rice.  another guy on here recommended freezer bag cooking which is what I may start doing. just not sure what meals to make with that

I was never to far away from my vehicle on my last hunt so weight/food wasn't such an issue. But I would like to hear what people like and what they think works. Anyone try MRE's? I have been reading Cameron Haynes Back country book and finding some helpful tips in there, but wow is that guy intense.

BrentLaBere said:
I was never to far away from my vehicle on my last hunt so weight/food wasn't such an issue. But I would like to hear what people like and what they think works. Anyone try MRE's? I have been reading Cameron Haynes Back country book and finding some helpful tips in there, but wow is that guy intense.

i have heard mre's are terrible but they are getting better.  i would go mountain house if your going that route

I haven't heard of the mountain house. Have you tried them? I will do a little research on them thanks for the tip.

BrentLaBere said:
I haven't heard of the mountain house. Have you tried them? I will do a little research on them thanks for the tip.

yeah they are awesome.  i could eat em everyday.  I love the beef stroganoff with noodles and the chili mac with beef.  I've heard there are a few to stay away from like lasagna

I use dehydrated foods (Mountain House) except in my areas close to home where I can make 5-6 scouting/food pack-in trips and take some different types of food in (canned).  Just remember to take garbage bags in so you can carry out your trash.  I always think about that before I pack what I am taking into the backcountry.

GoatT said:
I use dehydrated foods (Mountain House) except in my areas close to home where I can make 5-6 scouting/food pack-in trips and take some different types of food in (canned).  Just remember to take garbage bags in so you can carry out your trash.  I always think about that before I pack what I am taking into the backcountry.

I usually pack all my food in a shopping bag.  trash goes back in the bag and it also works as a bear bag to hang

Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, and Hawk's Vittles are probably the most common commercially available dehydrated food options. Personally, I prefer the taste of Mountain House to the others. Peanut butter and bacon tortillas are a main stay in my pack too.

If you prefer to cook your own there are a ton of recipes at http://www.trailcooking.com/taxonomy/term/7%2B8

MRE's taste horrible...horrible I say...horrible.

When you're talking back-country you want to pack light of course.  I also have an eye on my bill-fold as well.  Mountain house or competitive freeze drys are great hot meals if you have a water filter and stove, but can be a bit more than i want to spend.  We have a bulk food section in my favorite store here that has lots of bulk dehydrated  foods that can be mixed and matched.  I don't know where you live but check around for other options.  It can break up the old routine and bring a fresh breath into camp.  Also tortillas are a great addition because they are light, easily pack-able and delicious.  I like cliff bars for walk-around food and oatmeal for breakfast.  I always keep it tracked that i will have morning, mid-day and dinner foods for each day in the woods, and a meal (that will keep) back at the vehicle (and some beers on a cube of ice) to either put the cherry on top of a successful hunt, or "lick the wounds" so to speak before the wife has a chance to do so.

[quote author=Montana_BackCountrylink=topic=442.msg4448#msg4448 date=1357747596]
We have a bulk food section in my favorite store here that has lots of bulk dehydrated  foods that can be mixed and matched.
[/quote]

What store, and what brand dehydrated foods do they have? I'm always looking for a bargain!

I actually referring to "the good food store" here in Missoula.  I'm not sure if it a chain store or not. I would also imagine a place like Rosaurs would have a similar section since they carry bulk items here. 

Can't go wrong with Mountain House.  Usually will take cliff bars, trail mix, and drink mix to keep me going throughout the day.

Instant oatmeal packets, PBJ & bacon sandwiches (I'll have to try making them with tortillas this year) and Mountain house. Those the basics with some trail mix and other various snack and candies thrown in there. I had a hiker tell me once that he liked to pack some Bear Creek soup mixes cause they were really light and only required water, haven't tried it yet though.

I agree with everyone on the Mountain House - good taste for the weight.  Bear Creek soups are much cheaper, and they're tasty as well.  I like that there are no dishes to clean with a Mountain House meal, and I like that there is less trash with a Bear Creek soup; something to consider depending on the length of your trip. 

For the full day trips from the rig (not necessarily overnight) I like to heat some soup or stew and keep it in one of those small thermoses.  A hot lunch on a cold day is really good for morale and it beats a nut bar or pbj any day.  It takes a little more prep (heating one more meal on the camp stove that morning) but it's worth it for me.

I used MRE for several years. They are good. The problem is they are heavy and produce a lot of trash. I would take them down to the bare minimum and its still a lot. How good they taste depends on brand. I got mine from epicenter.com and they were great.
Now a days I use mountain house because they are so light. A jet boil with a little fuel bottle and it lasts me all week and then some. I eat instant oatmeal in the morning, bagel for lunch and montainhouse dinner. Little snacks in between. Jerky, candy bars, trail mix ect. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back