What is the best tag you have ever drawn or hunted?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
Have you ever drawn a sub 1% draw odds tag?
Have you ever hunted a dream tag?
If so, what was the best tag you have ever drawn or hunted?

I've never drawn a sub 1% draw odds tag or anything super insane, but I think I was super fortunate to have been given that New Mexico antelope tag last year.

In New Mexico rifle antelope tags are HARD to draw and people go their whole life without drawing one. On the flip side people can charge anywhere from $1500-$6000 for antelope tags. I was fortunate enough to have the tag given to me on a 45K acre untouched and unpressured ranch.

The hunt allowed me to shoot a VERY old and mature antelope and I will never forget that experience.

I don?t know what the actual draw percentage is for a Once in a Lifetime Colorado bull moose tag is, but I do know it?s pretty low. 2% maybe?

In 2009 I got lucky and was in the 2% draw

I was even luckier when I shot a B&C Shiras moose opening day

DIY public land

cnelk said:
I don?t know what the actual draw percentage is for a Once in a Lifetime Colorado bull moose tag is, but I do know it?s pretty low. 2% maybe?

In 2009 I got lucky and was in the 2% draw

I was even luckier when I shot a B&C Shiras moose opening day

DIY public land

Wow great moose. Im going to start putting in for ID this year. Hope to draw one sometime in the next 10 to 15 years. There's a 8 to 10% chance.

The best tag I have ever drawn is a NM elk tag. It might not sound like much but I know plenty of people who have not drawn one in 6-8 years. Unfortunately that is where my luck stops. Maybe this year the New Mexico and Arkansas elk gods will smile down on me with good draws.

my year of first.  2007.

put in for my first NM elk tag.  drew our first choice, unit 36
first day: shot an awesome elk
first shot.

my brother killed a better elk the next day.

it was also the FIRST time i have ever lost the will to live hiking out such a heavy load. 

DEEF said:
A CA Pig Tag?$22 :)

hehe..tag is easy.  it boiles into a nice broth too!!

man, a CA wild hog on public land is a tough fill!!

DEEF, do you live near me?  i'm in Sonoma Co

The first year I put in for a Bighorn Ram I ended up with a tag. Hunted the first few weeks of the season with my bow and then ended up shooting a 178in ram with my rifle. Felt so guilty getting a permit on my first try I have not put in again.

I'm going to draw it this year either Colorado Moose or Elk, going into the elk draw with 19pp but that still only gets me in the Hybrid draw LOL!

BobH said:
The first year I put in for a Bighorn Ram I ended up with a tag. Hunted the first few weeks of the season with my bow and then ended up shooting a 178in ram with my rifle. Felt so guilty getting a permit on my first try I have not put in again.

Wow! That is impressive for sure.

My dad drawing a California Dessert Big Horn sheep tag in 2015.  Nothing like seeing "successful" next to a once in a lifetime tag.  He called me into his office to make sure he was seeing it correctly and after I confirmed, we had to call my mom in to confirm we weren't crazy.  haha

DTP said:
I've never drawn a sub 1% draw odds tag or anything super insane, but I think I was super fortunate to have been given that New Mexico antelope tag last year.

In New Mexico rifle antelope tags are HARD to draw and people go their whole life without drawing one. On the flip side people can charge anywhere from $1500-$6000 for antelope tags. I was fortunate enough to have the tag given to me on a 45K acre untouched and unpressured ranch.

The hunt allowed me to shoot a VERY old and mature antelope and I will never forget that experience.

That was a nice speed goat you got too. Lucky on all accounts!  Way to not eat the tag or Shoot one just to fill it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back