What is the best...

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
To piggyback on Dan\'s post about the worst piece of equipment you have bought, what is the best piece or pieces of equipment you have bought? Where you could go back in time and no matter what, you couldn\'t make a better decision. Something that was a \'game changer\' for you.

I mentioned the Cabelas Outfitter XL Cot in that thread. Others that immediately come to mind:

- Davis Wall Tents WITH an awning...love that extra space
- Cabelas Camp Kitchen
- Sunflower propane heater
- Bell & Carlson rifle stock

Sorry, most of those revolve around the camp itself. What can I say, a comfortable camp makes life better :D I\'m sure I\'ll come up with more gear as I think about it.

How about the rest of you?

my first custom bush knife. unbelievable quality. still stings remembering the paypal payment.

i also love the Sitka 90% jacket my wife bought me. it is too big now for me since i got skinnier..but i am keeping it. it is so bombproof. and layering it is the best.

I started thinking about this and funny most of my favorite things I never bought. I have to thank my dad for even getting me into archery. He bought me my very first bow. A PSE Mach Flite 4R. My wife bought my most favorite GPS I have ever owned....A Garmin Rhino 655. It is pretty dang nice.
But the thing I have found probably the most useful and has provided me hours upon hours of scouting sitting at home is free....Google Earth.
I introduced a buddy of mine to it years ago and he was floored. He knows his turf better than any person I know and even he said it showed him things he didn\'t know existed. He didn\'t leave his computer for days. :dk:

I would say few things that I bought that will be staples for me for now on are my:

Shuttle T broadheads
Lone wolf climber
and goldtip XT hunters.

I love their quality and I have been very successful with them.
Why fix something if it isn\'t broken?

Not a purchase, just something I lucked into.......a wife that understands.....or maybe she just gave up :think:

I\'m not sure if clothing is considered gear. If it is I have to say some Woolrich wool clothing I bought back in the 50-60\'s that I still wear.

Also the Meindl Perfekt boots I bought. Best investment ever. Still going strong after 8 years of beating the crap out of them.

Buck 110 knife I bought in 1980, and still gets the job done skinning out critters.

I buy very little gear, so my list is short. I try to buy stuff that\'s proven, and lasts a long time.

• Camp Time Roll-a-Cot. I now get a very restful sleep.[/*:m:zjxg8c30]
  • Merino Wool clothing. I am no longer drenched in sweat for hours.[/*:m:zjxg8c30]
  • Trail running shoes. Deadfall and steep terrain have never been easier since switching to these for footwear. My legs are so happy to lift less weight.[/*:m:zjxg8c30]
  • My topo maps in 1:24,0000 UTM and other map add-ons. Some are 6 years old with notes all over them.[/*:m:zjxg8c30]
  • Google Earth. Not equipment, however, an invaluable tool.[/*:m:zjxg8c30]
  • Vortex Monocular. I infrequently used my binos. With the monocular, I more frequently glass the forest looking for brown. I have a weak right eye, therefore, the monocular was an easy switch.[/*:m:zjxg8c30][/list:u:zjxg8c30]

Top of my list would have to be

1) Good hunting clothes.
2) GPS

When you have good stuff to wear in the woods and can stay dry and warm or cool to me makes the hunt that much more enjoyable. My GPS is always on and is a huge tool to have in the woods.

\"iccyman001\" said:
and goldtip XT hunters.

.................if it isn\'t broken?

funny you mention this. i\'ve been shooting Goldtip arrows exclusively. like i have NEVER shot any other arrow. i still have a single GT XT hunter. 5575 arrow. it is from the time the company started. the arrow was a simple black shaft. no logo on the shaft. just some white lettering that is worn off. it is now a hood prop for my sports car.

i love Goldtip. this one time deer hunting, we ran across a covey of california mountain quail. we spent about 3 hours running after them with judo tip arrows. just laughing and missing..having a great time!! of the three idiots in the group flinging arrows at running quail, i was the only guy to not break a single arrow. they were hitting rocks, dirt, trees..just bounce and go. i would flex test them and load up again and go running. they are so tough.

my current Goldtips are velocity 300 XT\'s. i have broken maybe four of them..but i am on my fifth dozen. those things are crazy. i lose them often..they lose like regular arrows. :)

\"mtnmutt\" said:
  • Vortex Monocular. I infrequently used my binos. With the monocular, I more frequently glass the forest looking for brown.

• I like mine, too. Binoculars are heavy, and not all that useful where I hunt. A monocular is light, quick, and perfect for \"check out that spot down there.\"

Best money spent in the optics category for me. If you\'re looking for one, I\'d almost get the 8x which is <$100. I have the 10x but it\'s almost a little too much magnification for the woods.

Last year I picked up a Badlands Inferno jacket.
OMG that thing is perfect!
Warm but still compresses small in the pack.
The arm cuffs are extra long so the sleeves don\'t pull up when you raise your arms.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.badlandspacks.com/inferno-jacket-hunting-clothing.html\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.badlandspacks.com/inferno-ja ... thing.html</a><!-- m -->

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:
and goldtip XT hunters.

.................if it isn\'t broken?

funny you mention this. i\'ve been shooting Goldtip arrows exclusively. like i have NEVER shot any other arrow. i still have a single GT XT hunter. 5575 arrow. it is from the time the company started. the arrow was a simple black shaft. no logo on the shaft. just some white lettering that is worn off. it is now a hood prop for my sports car.

i love Goldtip. this one time deer hunting, we ran across a covey of california mountain quail. we spent about 3 hours running after them with judo tip arrows. just laughing and missing..having a great time!! of the three idiots in the group flinging arrows at running quail, i was the only guy to not break a single arrow. they were hitting rocks, dirt, trees..just bounce and go. i would flex test them and load up again and go running. they are so tough.

my current Goldtips are velocity 300 XT\'s. i have broken maybe four of them..but i am on my fifth dozen. those things are crazy. i lose them often..they lose like regular arrows. :)

Oh for sure! I love them.
I have only broken one arrow and thats because it hit a cement wall :upthumb:

It would be hard to steer me away from these bad boys.

I would have to say a good set of insulated coveralls. I spent many days freezing my you know what off hunting whitetails here in December. I never had any good cold weather gear for years and suffered through many days in a tree stand wondering if I would even be able to climb down out of the stand because I was shaking so bad.

I have some warm coveralls too. They are the Cabela\'s GORE-TEX? MT050? Cold-Weather Coveralls. I carry them to the stand then put them on. I wouldn\'t be without them now that I have tried them. Very warm.
<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Cold-Weather-Camo-Clothing/Mens-Cold-Weather-Camo-Bib-Coveralls%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104274180/i/104048280/Cabelas-GORE-TEXreg-MT050174-Cold-Weather-Coveralls-150-Regular/753769.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-cold-weather-camo-bib-coveralls%2F_%2FN-1100960%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104048280\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing ... _104048280</a><!-- m -->

Terry,

I have that same set and love it. They keep my nice and warm and are not too bulky where they won\'t get caught on my string when I am drawing back and releasing. I love them :upthumb:

The best piece of hunting gear I ever bought was a Thermacell.... I wasn\'t a believer and went into the Ga woods without one the opening day of archery season. Needless to say I was back at my truck within 45 mins and had probably close to 50 mosquito bites. After that I went to wal-mart and bought one and don\'t go hunting in the early season without it.

Garmin GPS, Vortex rangefinder, PSE bow, Buck knife Mini Alfa, Badlands Superday pack

i have a goofy version of my answer.

my Gransfor Bruks Small Forest axe. the thing was a steal since i bought it from a store that was closing it\'s doors.

the thing is sharp like a razor. i\'ve chopped off chicken heads and used it for kindling and stuff. it is the coolest thing i own (outdoorsy stuff) ,and that i barely use. it was a spontaneous purchase for sure..one that makes my wife\'s eye roll around uncontrollably. i love the thing. hahah.

i WILL use it to tap apart elk ribs and stuff..one day..someday.

Arcteryx knee caps. I wish I knew about these years ago. These save my knees when doing camp chores, setting up a tent - anything where you are on your knees. I was very glad I had them last year when I was crawling to get in range of my deer last season. They are very light, durable and hardly noticeable when wearing them.

Merino wool clothing. It is the best base layer I have used - it really regulates your body temperature to the ambient conditions. It also masks your body odor much better than synthetics. I like the FirstLite tops and bottoms and the Smartwool PHD boxer briefs. I have the Sitka, Kuiu and some off brands that are very good, but the two I mentioned have the best cut and feel for me.

Trekking poles. These also save my knees with heavy loads, steep terrain and creek crossings. I don\'t have a favorite specific brand yet, but any pole will help - I am trying out some Komperdell carbon fiber poles this year.

Havalon knife. It is great to have a razor sharp knife when breaking down and animal. The ability to change blades when needed to a new scary sharp blade makes the field processing work so much easier.

OR Crocodile Gaiters. I have had a set for around 8 years and they are the toughest set of gaiters I have owned. They are great for mud, snow and wet vegetation.

\"Baby Huey\" said:
Arcteryx knee caps. I wish I knew about these years ago. These save my knees when doing camp chores, setting up a tent - anything where you are on your knees. I was very glad I had them last year when I was crawling to get in range of my deer last season. They are very light, durable and hardly noticeable when wearing them.

Merino wool clothing. It is the best base layer I have used - it really regulates your body temperature to the ambient conditions. It also masks your body odor much better than synthetics. I like the FirstLite tops and bottoms and the Smartwool PHD boxer briefs. I have the Sitka, Kuiu and some off brands that are very good, but the two I mentioned have the best cut and feel for me.

Trekking poles. These also save my knees with heavy loads, steep terrain and creek crossings. I don\'t have a favorite specific brand yet, but any pole will help - I am trying out some Komperdell carbon fiber poles this year.

Havalon knife. It is great to have a razor sharp knife when breaking down and animal. The ability to change blades when needed to a new scary sharp blade makes the field processing work so much easier.

OR Crocodile Gaiters. I have had a set for around 8 years and they are the toughest set of gaiters I have owned. They are great for mud, snow and wet vegetation.
sweet! I hate my knee pads. Mine are camo and that\'s bout it for the good stuff.

Where they save me is when I am loading my truck under my camp she\'ll.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back