What is your favorite rifle setup for Colorado elk hunting?

brightwhite

Jan 27, 2015
I have several smaller caliber rifles (.25-06, .22-250, & .223), but I need to add a larger caliber to my collection for elk hunting here in Colorado.  I am also curious to what scope brand and power you like on your setup.

Here is what I am leaning towards setting myself up with to cover me for Elk, Mule Deer, Black Bear, and any of the bigger stuff I hunt in Colorado.

Ruger American .30-06 shooting a 180gr bullet (I tend to lean toward Federal)
Leupold VX1 3-9x40 Scope
a good set of Warne rings

Have I made good choices?  What would you change?

perfect setup or a Remington model700 same caliber i would play with the rounds and see what your rifle shoots best im a fan of hornady my self they shoot best out of my rifle. 180 grain is the best round for elk in that round IMO

cowboystl1 said:
perfect setup or a Remington model700 same caliber i would play with the rounds and see what your rifle shoots best im a fan of hornady my self they shoot best out of my rifle. 180 grain is the best round for elk in that round IMO

I will look at Hornady.  I usually sight the gun in with something cheaper like the winchester super-x soft points, then start running some other stuff through it.  I will certainly look at the hornady stuff.

How about the 3-9x scope?  Should I go with more magnification or stay around there? 

How about a bi-pod...do those of you that have them like them and use them for big game?  I use my bi-pod on my .22-250 for varmint and coyote hunting all the time, but not sure about the extra weight going up and down the mountains chasing deer and elk.

hank4elk said:
8) That should work fine,try 165's  too.    That or a 300 WM....

I like the idea of the flatter shooting bullet, but everything I have read said go with a 180gr and that the difference in trajectory isn't that much, but the energy down range is significant.  What bullet do you like to shoot in the 165gr?

165 will kill an elk but is better for white tail and mule deer better expansion . im no fan of a bipod never needed one chasing elk worst case id shoot off my pack or a limb. as far as scope your right on the money any bigger you risk loosing an up close shot. im no distance shooter i like my animals up close and personal  if your planning on shooting out past 400 or 500 yards you may want to consider a different setup all together inside of that 3x9x40 leo, vortex, or bushnell will do all day

cowboystl1 said:
165 will kill an elk but is better for white tail and mule deer better expansion . im no fan of a bipod never needed one chasing elk worst case id shoot off my pack or a limb. as far as scope your right on the money any bigger you risk loosing an up close shot. im no distance shooter i like my animals up close and personal  if your planning on shooting out past 400 or 500 yards you may want to consider a different setup all together inside of that 3x9x40 leo, vortex, or bushnell will do all day

Great, thanks for the advice.  I think I will bypass that bi-pod and look for a shooting stick that will double as a hiking stick as well.  That might be the best thing I could add to my collection that I don't have today.

cabellas has them with the y on the top adjustable length  im a one stick walker myself i see a lot of guys using trekking poles and a stick or trekkers are awesome when the pack is heavy i also have an adapter for my pole to mount my binos for glassing or camera for filming

A friend of mine had an awesome set of collapsible shooting sticks made by Easton you might want to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back