What is your weakness?

buglelk

Administrator
Nov 30, 2012
If you had to pick one specific area of elk hunting that you feel you need to learn more about to become a better elk hunter, what would it be?

Attachments

• bloody broadhead and hands2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 31
learning new areas and when to have more patience, hard for me to sit still and wait for the bulls to come to me 

While I know the basics, I would say reading topo maps in a way that benefits my hunting.  How far apart do the lines have to be to represent a bench, wheres the potential hidey hole for an old bull? Also, utilizing google earth and my onXmaps to their maximum capability in order to increase my odds.

Biggest weakness for me is finding there bedding areas. Can never find there beds they make in the dark timber... Another would be calling which I struggle with probably because I get impatient after 30 minutes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last 100 yards is my downfall. I can find elk and get into that range but getting the bull to commit and come my way has been a challenge. I always end up bumping his cows and then they're out of there in a hurry.

Leaving an area I know holds quality animals because they aren't vocal. My style of hunting (and the biggest reason I bowhunt) is to be interactive with the elk.

Its been hardin the past to leave an area I've scouted a bunch, but if they aren't talking, I need to be better about moving sooner to an area where they are. 

I would say three things.  first - more confidence in my calling.  I feel I need improvement in this area.  I can make the calls and get a response, just need to continue studying proper response after the first exchange. Second - would be my internet scouting.  Finding areas that tend to hold more elk.  Since I live in Houston Texas I cannot get the mountains for boots on the ground scouting as much as I would like.  So being able to improve my internet scouting would be the biggest improvement for me.  Third - would be finding the bedding and breading areas.  I come across them now and then but never on a consistent basis.  I find freshsign there are elk in the area just not the bedding/breading areas.  Overall I do pretty well with my elk hunting, little streaky at times and feel these three things are what is keeping me from being in the 10% of the archery hunters who take an elk every year.

Glenn

Saying screw it when my buddies don't want to go with me into a hell hole 4 miles in, quit listening to the negative and just go, kill a stud. Leave them at the truck!!

Well, with only one season under my belt I'd say all of it, haaha. But here are the things that would help me get going in the right direction:
1 - Finding elk. Digital scouting is still a challenge for me and once in the field, knowing which way to go is still a bit of a black art to me. I'll generally mark spots on my gps from virtual scouting but often the in the ground reality didn't match expectation.
2 - My fitness. I've been working on that for a year now and have made really good progress but there's more to go before I can say I'm in mountain shape. A full time desk job and family schedule can get in the way but no excuses.

Patience. I seem to rush things a lot. If I can calm myself down and let the situation develop things often turn out OK.

I want to get into elk and I want to do it RIGHT NOW.

Also I think that if I hunted with someone else and they could call elk past me I would have more opportunities but I prefer to hunt alone. I don't know if that's a weakness but I have had a lot of elk hang up just outside of range. I don't call much once I have located elk just for that reason.

Also I don't hunt from dark to dark as often as I would like. I feel like I usually bust elk out or disturb them enough in the mornings that I either wont get an opportunity in the evening or I want to give them time to settle down after bumping them that morning. Either way it's tough to kill one from either camp or home.

Reading when to be aggressive and when to slow down.  I seem to pick the wrong approach on a regular basis.  I push and end up bumping animals.  If I sit tight they simply move on.

Patience would be number one. Number two would be my physical health. Both seem easy to fix but are not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back