What keeps you coming back?

WardDawg7

Jan 27, 2013
What is your favorite part of the hunt?  Being in Gods country?  Friends & Family?  Tracking & stalking?  Screaming Bulls?  Taking the shot?  When it all lines up that's what makes me keep coming back.

I'll let you know in just over 6 months - I think its going to be "all of the above" though. I'll be headed out the second week of September to try my luck at a DIY archery elk hunt....can't wait

So far its the planning and the dedication to get in shape to be the best I can be come September. This is totally different then hunting whitetails that I'm use to

Just being there, there is nothing like camping out on the side of a Mountain spending time with friends for 2 weeks, I enjoy the challenge of a DIY hunt, if I get a Elk that is just a bonus.

Kevin

I drive over 20 hrs to get there and the reason I do is to sit on a rock just out from the tent and watch the sun go down at least one evening while I'm there.  There is a field just out from camp that has a creek running through it with a big pine just off center.  The aspens surround the field with the dark timber following them up the mountain.  In the distance are the higher snow covered mountains and the sun sets just behind them.  That view is stuck in my mind and I hope it never leaves.  I would drive out just to see that every year, but hearing the bulls and having the chance to get one is not a bad bonus.

Screaming bulls!!!!! 

Few experiences in life compare to a fired up ole bull trying to melt your hair off from ten yards away, while you stand bow in hand trying to steady yourself for a shot.  It just triggers something primal inside of me. 

Everything. The time spent with friends and laughters, the hard work that goes into it, the sunrise and sunsets, the aspens and evergreens to the rock fields above the tree lines, the creeks and lakes,  the frosty mornings and warm afternoons to the snow covered mountains and freezing weather that will cause steam to come out of a bull as he bugles, and the reason we are there to begin with when the mornings first bugle shatters the silence and  you look at your buddy, and a smile says it all.

Screaming bulls, RACKS, frosty mornings, good friends, sweat and the packout :D

Attachments

• P9290617 (480x640).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0053-001 (640x480).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • triail cam1 (640x480).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00977 (640x480).jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
what really feeds the addiction who knows.But my favorite thing has got to be the hair standing up on the back of my neck and the goose bumps all over my body when that bull screams in your face and the steam from his breath on that cool morning as he tips his head from side to side to fit that rack between the trees .as you alone are seeing what no one else is, as every single time it happens its different.

I'm getting fired up just reading about all your thoughts and can't wait for another season,  thanks

I can remember every vocal exchange with elk I have hunted so I think that along with still hunting with my dad (he is now 74 ) are the two big things I love about going every year.

Because I love to hunt.I could not go last year 0 for 9 on tags but this year I going even if I don't draw a tag I will buy a land owner tag.

The opportunity to be outside, to test my skills & my gear, to learn new things about the animals I am hunting, to push myself physically and mentally and to be able to say, "I am a hunter".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back