What kind of knife you take in the mountains

NolanOutdoors

Jan 2, 2013
I have been using Havalon for a few years and love em. What you guys use? Here is my son taking care of a whitetail with a Havalon.
Thanksgiving2011hunt364.jpg

Havalon Piranta, I've quartered up 9 elk in the last 5 years for myself and the hunting party with that little knife. Guess what they got for Christmas.  ;D 

I have 2 Gerber folding utility knives. Total for 2 knives and 8 blades is 7 oz. I love the ease of use of them and having 2 edges on each blade.

as of now I carry a buck paklite skinner but I am seriously considering a havolon piranta as my primary skinner and using the paklite as an all purpose camping knife

For the last 30 years, I've carried an old, original Ruana.  But, since it's getting to be worth the value of my rifle....I'm carrying a Havalon now.

I have a couple I like. One is a buck knife with gut hook and the other is a skinning knife I got from RMEF years ago and have used it many times. I am liking the looks of the Havalon kit with the knives and saw.

Well I may finally be taking the knife plunge and getting a bark river for an all purpose camp/survival knife.  Expensive but everyone says they're well worth it

Cutco.com.....great hunting knife...can take care of a lot of game before any sharpening is needed!!!!

Gerber, Buck, Schrade, SOG. Lots of good blades. Love them all. Like the gerber with a real soft drop point for skinning.

I pack an outdoor edge and a folding gerber skinner, I added a havalon last season but kept breaking the blades- are you guys just using them for skinning?

mtndone said:
I pack an outdoor edge and a folding gerber skinner, I added a havalon last season but kept breaking the blades- are you guys just using them for skinning?

I skin, and debone with the Havalon Piranta. You just have to get used to cutting instead of twisting the blade.

Havalon Piranta, a couple extra blades, and a mini multi tool to help with changing blades.

Havalon all the way. I can do an elk on one blade if I'm careful not to pry with it. I also carry a fixed blade benchmade more for heavier work or if needed for survival situations

Just got my bark river aurora for bushcraft/general camp knife.  Probly only be used for wood and I will be getting a havalon for meat

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back